Calling all Dura Ace bar-end shifter users!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I got to the gear cable installation segment of my Wayfarer build to discover that my gosh darned RH shifter is bollocksed. The 3rd, 4th and 5th clicks feel terrible and there's an awful scratchy sound emanating from it. Aren't these things supposed to last *forever*? I've left it to soak in machine oil o'er night in the hope that it's saveable. But FFS the whole point of these things is that they last for many tens of thousands of miles.

presta

Guru
I've had 14000, 10000, and 13000 miles out of my levers. The current ones have done 6000, so they're about half-worn.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The 9 speed ones have a rep for early death. One of mine is knackered and only the lowest 5 gears have clear clicks.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
If it’s 9 speed , I have one on my recumbent I’ll be removing. My left hand dura ace wouldn't hold it in big ring as a bit of plastic cracked. I’ve got replacement Diacompe which are all metal. I need to check I have a spare rear gear cable before I get round to the RH lever, I’ve already swapped the left lever. I run friction anyway.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
SunRace ones are nice too. As DA components go, the bar end shifters are probably the nastiest.

Top Bottom