Calling all 'General Cycling' thread starters!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I'm not suggestng that you can't post stuff in GC or that GC should disappear; just that a lot of the content could be in more appropriate areas of the forum.

The reasoning is to get new and newish members to use other areas of CC and get more approporiate and possibly expert advice. At present, it seems that many don't venture beyond the Welcome Mat and GC.

I know, and I agree. My post was very tongue in cheek hence the grinning smilie.:biggrin:

I am also Admin on another forum and will happily move threads about to put them in the right place, it seems to work there with 'moved thread' redirections, so I can see the additional workload placed on Mods and Admin if threads are badly placed.

I think the 'General' title leads to a 'non specific' range of threads that could be better placed but sometimes threads evolve as people contribute to them and become specific to another forum. Placing them in the 'correct' forum could limit digression and channel the thread in a particular direction. That might be a good thing.

Sometimes posting in the right forum also leads to others thinking it is in the wrong forum.
I don't bother with commuting anymore as my commute doesn't seem to fit the general commuting model.

I think 'Beginners' would be fine but there maybe people who use bikes, are not beginners and do not have the sporting, commuting or group riding interests.

I suppose it depends a lot on where Shaun wants the forum to go and if people who just get their shopping or visit a friend a few miles up the road can't find a place to post that 'seems' to fit then they may not post at all. Would that matter?

There is always the Cafe I guess.

I'm happy to go with whatever Shaun decides is best for his forum :smile:

lukesdad

Or a "Wont fit ? Put it here " forum.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Sorry if it's already been suggested but can't welcome and beginners go together. I like the general cycling forum, it's a bit like a bike related cafe, mods just need to pop in once a day and put the vac 'round.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
So, how can a change be made to make it the same but better. Well essentially it's a beginners sub-forum is it not, at least everyone thinks it is, so it should reflect that but also reflect that beginners doesn't just mean new but less experienced. So a name change needs to reflect that and disourage it's use as a catch all forum.

No bugger had any decent suggestions :biggrin: so you're stuck with mine. I came up with Starting Out or Starting Out and Moving On - a forum for expanding your horizons into cycling. Maybe not perfect but you get the gist...

I told you what I thought the structure should be and desirable behaviours and outcomes, not necessarily what they should be called which is slightly less important. All forums suffer from 'forum drift', we've seen it several times on this forum.

Also a bit sure as to some of the apprehension about creating extra 'work'.

I told you what I thought the structure should be and desirable behaviours and outcomes, not necessarily what they should be called which is slightly less important. All forums suffer from 'forum drift', we've seen it several times on this forum.

Also a bit sure as to some of the apprehension about creating extra 'work'.

Apologies if I missed out what you said Marin. I was getting tired last night and may have missed the thrust of it, unless you mean the three tier structure, in which case I didn't think you were entirely serious. Please feel free to add it and admonish me.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Maybe the "technical" section ought to be renamed if it puts people off.

When I don't have time to wade through all the bollox that appears when I "view new content", I'll usually just take a quick look in "know how" and "bikes, accessories etc" which are the bits that interest me.

If newbies don't see those sections or shy away from them because of the "Technical" title and post questions in "general cycling" it seems they are more likely to start arguments (between members who should know better) than get sound advice.

Edit - Shaun, will the new Software have a poke facility ? Please ?

Fran143

Über Member
Maybe the "technical" section ought to be renamed if it puts people off.

When I don't have time to wade through all the bollox that appears when I "view new content", I'll usually just take a quick look in "know how" and "bikes, accessories etc" which are the bits that interest me.

If newbies don't see those sections or shy away from them because of the "Technical" title and post questions in "general cycling" it seems they are more likely to start arguments (between members who should know better) than get sound advice.

Edit - Shaun, will the new Software have a poke facility ? Please ?

Hmmm....who do you wish to "poke" PP?:tongue:

Shaun

Founder
No poke, but you will be able to "like" - so a positive action if someone has been helpful, funny, given really good advice, related an experience in an enjoyable way, etc. :smile:

Top Bottom