Calling all model kit fans - she's finally done

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
The Royal Navy tended to get the "hand me downs" from the RAF. Rather than cancel the project, it was passed onto the Senior Service.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
The Royal Navy tended to get the "hand me downs" from the RAF. Rather than cancel the project, it was passed onto the Senior Service.

Sort of interesting, because I get the impression the FAA pilots were better than the RAF's.

Not the crews, more the aircraft projects. Rather than cancel the project, they seemed to have carried them on but for the new Fleet Air Arm of the Royal Navy
The exceptions being the Sea Vixen and the Buccaneer. The Sea Vixen was in competition with the Gloster Javelin and was a much better aircraft. The Blackburn Buccaneer was originally a carrier based aircraft which the RAF reluctantly accepted and went on for many years service.
I read somewhere that the Buccaneer was the most cost effective aircraft we ever made.

OP
OP
captain nemo1701

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Finally making progress, want this baby done by May^_^
eagle.jpg

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
The exceptions being the Sea Vixen and the Buccaneer. The Sea Vixen was in competition with the Gloster Javelin and was a much better aircraft. The Blackburn Buccaneer was originally a carrier based aircraft which the RAF reluctantly accepted and went on for many years service.
I read somewhere that the Buccaneer was the most cost effective aircraft we ever made.

I watched a YouTube video to the effect that the Sea Vixen was one of Britain's ten worst aircraft. It was just someone's opinion. It had quite a bad casualty rate. Flying naval aircraft was very dangerous. It was replaced by the Phantom. I do not know what the Phantom's casualty rate was like. Buccaneers were cool, but I heard Lord Mountbatten tried to convince the Australians to order Buccaneers instead of the TSR2, which was even cooler. If the Aussies had ordered the TSR2 then maybe it would not have been scrapped.

OP
OP
captain nemo1701

captain nemo1701

Decamped to the lounge to do some fiddly detailing, adding decals etc. Going well, got a week off coming up so hopefully will get it finally assembled by the end of April. May will be two years since i bought the darned thing!. Fiddly kit, but fun to do.
Eagle.JPG

Drago

Legendary Member
I watched a YouTube video to the effect that the Sea Vixen was one of Britain's ten worst aircraft. It was just someone's opinion. It had quite a bad casualty rate. Flying naval aircraft was very dangerous. It was replaced by the Phantom. I do not know what the Phantom's casualty rate was like. Buccaneers were cool, but I heard Lord Mountbatten tried to convince the Australians to order Buccaneers instead of the TSR2, which was even cooler. If the Aussies had ordered the TSR2 then maybe it would not have been scrapped.

Bailing out of a Venom, Vixen or Vampire was always a dicey proposition, due to the high likelihood of the pilot being chopped in half by the tailplane.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Always thought the Eagles were the best thing in Space 1999.

Sadly, I have to agree. Looked fantastic but awfuly dull. Coversely Doctor Who of the day looked terrible with shonky sets and so on but has exciting storytelling and I loved it.

The Andersons never quite reached the perfection of Thunderbirds, which had it all: superb modelwork, action, excitment and great music. And the acting not bad either !

stephec

Legendary Member
Sadly, I have to agree. Looked fantastic but awfuly dull. Coversely Doctor Who of the day looked terrible with shonky sets and so on but has exciting storytelling and I loved it.

The Andersons never quite reached the perfection of Thunderbirds, which had it all: superb modelwork, action, excitment and great music. And the acting not bad either !

I thought it was a bit wooden.

You set 'em up...... :biggrin:

classic33

Leg End Member
After two years messing about with it, the Enterprise is finished...yaaay!. Great kit, first I've built since I was about 14. I've got to work out where to display it now^_^.
View attachment 121794
Chinese aviation buff builds full-scale Airbus replica
KAIYUAN, China (Reuters) - A man in northeastern China who always wanted to own an aircraft is doing the next best thing: building a full-scale replica of an Airbus A320 jet.

Zhu Yue, an aviation buff who worked as a welder and an auto mechanic, spent months studying plane models and technical drawings before he started building a homemade version a year ago with his friends.

Zhu, 40, who lives in the city of Kaiyuan in Liaoning province, said he planned to turn the replica into an aviation-themed restaurant.

“I want to make sure the plane is created with finesse and be the best A320 model in China,” he said.

The replica - 37.8 meters (124 ft) long with a wingspan of 36 meters (118 ft) and height of 12 meters (39.37 ft) - will feature model engine turbines that can rotate and a simulation cockpit, he added.

Zhu, who has so far spent more than 1 million yuan ($158,810) of his savings and used 40 tonnes of steel on his project, hopes to complete it by the end of year at a total cost of 2 million yuan ($317,620).

($1=6.2968 Chinese yuan renminbi)

Writing by Florence Lo in BEIJING; Editing by Tony Munroe and Clarence Fernandez

OP
OP
captain nemo1701

captain nemo1701

Nearly done. Got some time off now, this is a 'dry fit' test of the sub assemblies before final construction. It's only taken two years, but since I am a geology graduate, I move at tectonic speed.....:okay:. The next kit is waiting to be started, wanted this one since I saw the movie way back in the 1970's.
Eagle May 7.jpg

Moving onto.....
proteus may 7.jpg

Top Bottom