Calling all model kit fans - she's finally done

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
images.jpg
You have taken me back over fifty years.I used to make Airfix kits,my fave was the Spitfire.I also made Balsa Wood kits,with paper which had to be soaked in some liquid,long forgotten what that was.Used to pin the wood out on the drawing paper.Found this on Google.

Last edited:
As postman says it has taken me back. The talk of destroying it reminds me of my Airfix Buccaneer, the original 60's one with folding wings, rotating bomb bay, folding nose and opening air brakes. My brother and my cousin convinced me that it would look great if they shot it up with an air rifle. It was a sad moment when it was destroyed, it just broke into large pieces nothing like the real thing.
I am in the process of trying to recapture the memory of that model prior to it's destruction with a new kit.

View attachment 121817 You have taken me back over fifty years.I used to make Airfix kits,my fave was the Spitfire.I also made Balsa Wood kits,with paper which had to be soaked in some liquid,long forgotten what that was.Used to pin the wood out on the drawing paper.Found this on Google.
The balsa model used to be covered in tissue paper which had to be shrunk with water and then covered in shrinking dope once it had dried. Larger models could be covered in silk or nylon. Heat shrink plastic film came into use in the late 60's.

OP
OP
captain nemo1701

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Is is 1/72nd scale?
It's actually 1:350 scale, made by Polar Lights (US import, retails for about £90-100 but I got it on ebay for £50). Interestingly, if you had the Enterprise D from ST TNG on the same scale, it would be about 6ft long:okay:.

BTW, the First Aid manual turned out to be nicely the right thickness to prop it up while the cement glue was setting for the warp engines. Luckily, it didn't get any glue on it ^_^. MPC models have just released a nice 22 inch long Eagle from Space 1999 that's my next challenge. Sunday mornings, modelling away, listening to the Hairy Rock Show on Planet Rock. Bliss^_^.

Venod

Eh up
I sat on my Concorde :sad:

Are you sure it wasn't Miss Goodbody (or whatever you call her) that sat on your Concorde.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
View attachment 121817 You have taken me back over fifty years.I used to make Airfix kits,my fave was the Spitfire.I also made Balsa Wood kits,with paper which had to be soaked in some liquid,long forgotten what that was.Used to pin the wood out on the drawing paper.Found this on Google.

You can always revisit the past by purchasing 'stick and tissue' kits from the the Vintage Model Company

Favourites from the Keil Kraft, Veron, Mercury, and Frog ranges are available as replica kits.

I've been busy laser cutting formers and wing ribs for some large - 42" duration rubber powered models.

The airframes look like this 1939 Bullock Streamliner:

63943df0e0864ea653468b53128142b2.jpg

midlife

Guru
Yohtml
n always revisit the past by purchasing 'stick and tissue' kits from the the Vintage Model Company

Favourites from the Keil Kraft, Veron, Mercury, and Frog ranges are available as replica kits.

I've been busy laser cutting formers and wing ribs for some large - 42" duration rubber powered models.

The airframes look like this 1939 Bullock Streamliner:

63943df0e0864ea653468b53128142b2.jpg

I've got my eye on their Caprice.....built and flew one in the 70's

http://www.vintagemodelcompany.com/kk-caprice.html

Shaun

Top Bottom