Calling all MTB people

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brokenflipflop

Veteran
Hi. I know MTB is wrong but my brother has a mountain bike and as it's Jesus's birthday on the 25th of this month I thought I'd like to our kid something relating to his MTBing either clothing accessories or whatever to celebrate the birth of our Lord.

My question is: what is the most crucial piece of MTB kit that I could possibly get him. My budget is about £70. He already has a nice Cube MTB, some MTB shorts, one cycling jersey, a bottle and a bottle cage. It doesn't have to be £70 on one item, a few little things would do.

Thanks for any help/advice.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
tough call. notoriously picky about our gear us mtb'ers. it's all quite personal.

decent multitool, a good pump, a seatpost mounting rear light for the bits of tarmac after it has all gone a bit pete tong, crudguards, cycling glasses (we don't all use them), a small under-saddle bag to keep a tube and multitool in, ok I've run out of ideas now.

(bottle and cage - all a bit 80's and tbh hazardous to health when covered in cow shoot. Camelback?)

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
Camelbak Mule. Brilliant piece of kit that will last for years. I've used mine hundreds of times and it's as good as the day I bought it. With the 20 quid change get a Surly Lost In Analog t-shirt from Charlie's.

Bicycle

Camelbak. That's what I was thinking even before I read that everyone else agrees with me.

I have a cheapo one and it is wonderful. No more lost bottles when they fly out of cages on descents.

Also, even on a hot day, your first mouthfl is always aircooled and lovely, because it's been chilling in the feed tube.

Just writing this makes me want to go and storm some forestry.... but it's cold and dark and I've just had pasta and a nice glass of white....

But I digress; bottles on MTBs are good (I still use them) but a Camelbak is better.

Also, you can carry tools and stuff in it....

Yep, Camelbak Mule was my suggestion, before seeing that I'd been beaten to the punch already!

Invaluable piece of kit I wouldn't go MTBing without now, and about right for your budget too.

OP
OP
B

brokenflipflop

Veteran
Didn't see that Mule bit. Does it need to be the Mule?

Bicycle

Great. Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I'll get him a Camelback for starters. I've seen this one and it seems reasonable:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/camelbak-classic-2-litre-hydration-pack/

I think mine (now ancient) is slightly under 2 litres, but this looks like the current equivalent.

It really is a cracking piece of kit. You just forget you're wearing it and the sloshing noise soon just melts into the background.

On a really, really long ride, you can suddenly find you're empty, which doesn't happen with a traditional bidon.... but it is still a cracking thing.

It will be appreciated when unwrapped and doubly so when first used.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Didn't see that Mule bit. Does it need to be the Mule?
Need to be, nope. The Classic is an entry level one whereas the Mule is more aimed at hardcore all day trips in the mountains. I've a Classic I use when riding on the South Downs and a Mule MV for trips to real mountains.

Top Bottom