1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calling all squash players - Raquet help.

Discussion in 'Training, Fitness and Health' started by Absinthe Minded, 1 Feb 2008.

1. Absinthe Minded

Absinthe Minded Veteran

Hello all,

I'm new to the game and I like it enough to buy a raquet. Now, what should I get - I want something nice, but bear in mind that I'm new to the sport so the poor thing might get belted off of a wall.

Advice appreciated.

AM.

2. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

Go to Sportsworld. for some reason they don't seem to know how much they should charge for racquets. So you can get a nice carbon one very cheaply.

Decathlon are also good.

3. OP
    OP
    Absinthe Minded

Absinthe Minded Veteran

Thanks, MP. Very helpful of you. So, anything else to look for, i.e. brand, price?

4. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

I'm not expert at all. I've got two, and both were less than £20.

I like my Decathlon one best.

5. OP
    OP
    Absinthe Minded

Absinthe Minded Veteran

Cool, so I can get a good raquet for under a score. Thanks, and have a good weekend.

More advice from anyone else would be welcome!

6. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

Yeah, someone else please chip in. I'm only an occasional squasher, and could be playing with a cricket bat for all I know.

7. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

my Prince dura-light one is very good. Big sweet spot. had it for many years.

8. col

col Veteran

Get the cheapest you can at first,with the biggest face,as it will probably be destroyed after your first few games,hitting the wall and floors as you try to get those balls close to them,then when your getting a bit better at it,get a another one,but maybe go for a dearer one this time.

9. monnet

monnet Über Member

I'll second Sportsworld. I was in your position about a year ago Absinthe and went in and a bought a Dunlop carbon one for £25, not realising what I'd bought -just thinking I'd got a reasonable value raquet that wasn't the very cheapest. My more experienced squash playing mates were amazed at my new raquet and couldn't believe how much I'd paid for it.

10. OP
    OP
    Absinthe Minded

Absinthe Minded Veteran

MP, bonj, col. monnet,

Great, thank you all for the advice - I'll be hot-footing it off to treat myself soon. Good on yers...