Calling any heating engineers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kevoffthetee

On the road to nowhere
Morning guys and gals

As the temperatures slowly start to drop I thought its time I upgraded the boiler with a wireless roomstat. Can anyone recommend a good value model for a 2up2down mid terrace fitted with a Main Eco Elite 30

I've heard of drayton and Honeywell but I know nothing about them and would rather buy the item then have it fitted when the boiler gets serviced

Globalti

Legendary Member
Don't go and buy the item; you'll probably get the wrong one. Tell your heating engineer what you want to do and let him buy the right Honeywell or Drayton control system.

Why do you want wireless anyway? It won't make any difference to the performance of the system and once you've proudly moved it to a new location you think is better, you'll never move it again. If you're bothered about the insensitivity of your old round dial room 'stat, ask the plumber to fit a new digital 'stat in it's place; they are much more sensitive. In fact you can change the 'stat yourself if you're handy with electrical stuff, it's not rocket science. Oh, and don't bother with a complex multi-temperature job, they are expensive and they don't work very well. Just get a regular digital room 'stat.

OP
OP
Kevoffthetee

Kevoffthetee

On the road to nowhere
Yes there are trv's on all radiators. I've just re-read my previous reply and think it give the wrong idea, there is an adjustable heating temp control but its a dial with 1-10 which relies on a little guess work.

I'm after a temperature controlled / programmable stat which can be put in the living room without running wires as it's a brick house, not one of the hollow plasterboard jobies)

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Last 2 houses I have fitted Honeywell programmable digital room stats. Multiple time on/off settings with variable temperatures on each. Work really well and suit the different settings you kind of want across a typical day. I've always used the wired version.

TVC

No expert, but I'd go with the fitst reply, tell your engineer what you want to achieve and let him offer a solution. Better he installs something he is familiar with and understands.

subaqua

What’s the point
make sure the system is balanced and set the boiler to the lowest setting you can that stops it cycling ( coming in and out in less than a minute) and let the TRVs do the job . the key word is Thermostatic. as the weather gets colder open up the trvs a little bit and turn the boiler up a little.

doing this has cut our gas bill by a significant amount.

if you didn't have TRVs then i would have suggested wireless controls and splitting the system up into zones with 2 port Valves .
that way you are only heating the rooms you need.

Retribution03

We've just had a new boiler fitted and it's got the remote thing with it the only difference I can see is I can turn it on without having to get out of bed but then if I set it at about 18 degrees in the winter it will keep coming on once the temp drops anyway lol

Top Bottom