Calling any I.T/PC guru's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavgav

Guru
I am having problems with my PC at work and no one seems to be able to get to the bottom of it.

Due to sometimes needing remote access to my PC outside of work hours, I.T made some changes to settings last year, to stop it from switching off overnight and, if it does shut down, to start up at 7am each day.

Over the past week it appears to be entering sleep or hibernation mode, during the night and so I can't remotely access it. When I get into work it is switched on but the power button is flashing. When I press a key then it wakes up, I log in and all of my desktop icons have scrambled up and moved to the left of the screen.

All power settings are set to never, for sleep, power down, etc.

Any ideas?!

The solution is a laptop.

Is there anything on the screensaver page that says after been inactive for so long to go to the lock screen and then from the lock screen it is 'sleeping'.

Have IT done a GP update on your profile which maybe overruling the PC settings. At my work the out of hours Citrix portal shuts down after 7pm until 7am and denies all access.

Shaun

Founder
Could be several things. Does your user account have local administrator privileges? Ask the IT bods and if not, ask them to make you a local admin and then re-apply the power settings and reboot and see if they stick / it stays awake at night.

OP
OP
G

gavgav

Guru
The solution is a laptop.

Is there anything on the screensaver page that says after been inactive for so long to go to the lock screen and then from the lock screen it is 'sleeping'.

Have IT done a GP update on your profile which maybe overruling the PC settings. At my work the out of hours Citrix portal shuts down after 7pm until 7am and denies all access.
I do have a laptop to use at home, but need to remote into my PC from it, to access a number of files.

I will check the screensaver settings, thanks.

OP
OP
G

gavgav

Guru
Could be several things. Does your user account have local administrator privileges? Ask the IT bods and if not, ask them to make you a local admin and then re-apply the power settings and reboot and see if they stick / it stays awake at night.

Will give it a go. Being in the NHS most of the admin privileges are locked down, but I can always ask!

midlife

Guru
Ah! NHS lol. I'm not allowed access to my work PC from home...VPN and all that is verboten! They also block writing to CD and USB.

Best of luck :smile:.

Shaun

Ah! NHS lol. I'm not allowed access to my work PC from home...VPN and all that is verboten! They also block writing to CD and USB.

Best of luck :smile:.

Shaun

I would never dream of doing a "Hilary Clinton" and using a third party source such as OneDrive, Box or DropBox

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
We can't get good access to even just files from home (public sector). My wife can easily work from home as all their infrastructure is cloud based - she's loving the flexibility.

Top Bottom