Calling any Kenisis Grandfondo Ti V3 owners

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
The result is that the cable doesn't sit neatly up against the frame.
20180905_202227_resized.jpg

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
In turn this also creates a problem at the entry point to by causing a large loop of cable
20180905_202030_resized.jpg

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I would lose about 5mm of outer at the rear and about 2cm at the front. I would be happy to not have the rear touching the frame, in fact on my bike I tend the flex/bend the outer so it does not touch. At the front for some reason I like the cable passing about mid-way up the head tube.

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
At the front for some reason I like the cable passing about mid-way up the head tube.

The issue at the front isn't helped by the Deda Superleggera carbon bars that house the cables internally, the exit point is quite a distant from the stem and will not be covered in tape. Therefore the rear brake cable is dropping down a good couple of inches further along the bars away from the stem that it would have done with conventional external mounted cables.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
The issue at the front isn't helped by the Deda Superleggera carbon bars that house the cables internally, the exit point is quite a distant from the stem and will not be covered in tape. Therefore the rear brake cable is dropping down a good couple of inches further along the bars away from the stem that it would have done with conventional external mounted cables.

What is it like if you cross over the other side of the headtube?

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
What is it like if you cross over the other side of the headtube?

Yes, I did contemplate that, but I don't really want the front brake on the left. I did have a bike with the front brake on the left once before and I lost count how many times I nearly hurled myself over the bars after grabbing a handful of rear brake, forgetting that it was the front!

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
Just route the cable to the right side of the head tube.

Hmm....hadn't thought of that to be honest. But the only thought I have is I'm pretty certain that the " inlet port" is more over to the left side than the right side, but nevertheless worth a look, thanks

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
As I suspected the inlet ferrule on the underside of the top tube is situated more to the left of the centre line. I've tried the cable routing to the right of the headset, but to allow for a full movement of the bars lock to lock you have to have a massive loop in the brake cable which makes the "problem" even worse :thumbsdown:

Im still not 100% happy with the angle of the short section of outer brake cable from the frame to the caliper either. I've tried half a dozen different lengths of outer cable in 5mm increments trying to establish some sort of acceptable line, but in every single case it just seems to add more resistance to the operation of the brake? When operating the brake you can feel the drag on the shifter. I think what doesn't help either is the angle of the arm with the adjuster on it on the TRP caliper. Looking at my Shimano deep drop brakes on one of my other bikes, the arms are over at more of an angle leaning inwards towards the seat post.

Top Bottom