Calling riders from near Clitheroe.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
My brother in law lives in West Bradford near Clitheroe and my other one over the border in Yorkshire but not too far away. When the good weather eventually arrives, I will take my bike in the car from North Wales to there and ride it from one in law to the other. On the way is a hill called Grindleton Hill, just outside West Bradford and it looks quite steep. I am quite sure some of you must have riden it and I would like to know your impressions of it, like: how long is it? what gear to you use and is it really as bad as it looks?
Thanks for any advice.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You're from North Wales - surely you are used to hills! :thumbsup:

I know all the roads round there. There are some tough hills not far away, but I don't think those at Grindelton are that bad. Which one do you mean by 'Grindleton Hill'? When I search for the name, I find this thread!

If you tell me what route you are planning to take, I could give you an idea of what faces you.

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
You're from North Wales - surely you are used to hills! :thumbsup:

I know all the roads round there. There are some tough hills not far away, but I don't think those at Grindelton are that bad. Which one do you mean by 'Grindleton Hill'? When I search for the name, I find this thread!

If you tell me what route you are planning to take, I could give you an idea of what faces you.
The road from Sawley to Grindleton and then on to West Bradford. Don't know the road number.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Ah, you are basically following the Ribble Valley so it is merely undulating apart from that short steep bit into Grindleton. That is about 16% but only for 100 metres before easing off so it's nothing to worry about. The entire hill is about 300 metres long and averages 10%.

I really like cycling round there - the roads are quiet and the scenery is great. Here's a photo of Pendle Hill that I took from that road at Sawley:

pendle-hill-from-sawley-big.jpg

Top Bottom