calves really sore and numb wrists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi guys,

I just bought a new bike (a 24-speed MTB) and started cycling again about two weeks ago after a pause of some 15 years! I'm using the bike mostly to commute, riding almost every day, covering anything between 4 and 10 miles per ride. The roads vary from smooth and flat to somewhat bumpy.

Now, I'm thoroughly enjoying it, but my calves have been KILLING me for the past couple of days! I can barely stand straight! I know I'll probably get used to the stress eventually, but any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Secondly, mid-way through a trip my hands are turning really numb. I'm wearing a pair of gelled gloves, but it didn't really help. I have to constantly wring my hands to get some feeling back, but doing that uphill is a bit difficult as I have to keep both hands on the bar or I'd fall over! Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Have you got your saddle too far forward? Your knee should be over the pedal spindle when your foot is at 9 0'clock. Is your saddle straight? If the nose is tipping down it will shift weight onto your wrists.

RedBike

Take a rest. Its by resting that you body recovers and grows stronger.

As for the hands, a new set of grips or perhaps a set of bar ends so you can keep changing position might help?

You should be riding along with bent elbows just lightly gripping the bars. It sounds like you've got too much weight on your hands

Tynan

Veteran
what goat said, google bike setup and have a crack, getting the saddle to roughly the right position and height will make a huge difference to your comfort and speed, those symptoms sound like you've got it setup badly wrong

Odyssey

Some amount of aches and pains after being inactive are going to be inevitable. It'll take your body a while to work them out. But to help it along, make sure you have a good stretch after each ride, it helps me immensely.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Stick with it - do get bar ends though - will give you a few more hand positions.

The muscle soreness will be due to the increase in activity - try some days when you just spin the gears and take some load off the legs.

You are managing most days, so that's a great start - don't push too hard at first.

PrettyboyTim

I didn't get on well with the flat bars that came on my hybrid - they were giving me pains in my lower thumb joints.

I ended up buying a new set of handlebars which were swept back at the ends.

They were quite similar to these ones:

which I got from BikeFix for about £12.

They do look a bit sit-up-and-beg, but I much prefer them. I also have ergon bar ends on my bike:

ergon-gc2-med.jpg

They give your hand a larger are to rest on which may help. They also have bar ends so you can change hand position.

inspiration_is_cultivated said:
Hi guys,

I just bought a new bike (a 24-speed MTB) and started cycling again about two weeks ago after a pause of some 15 years! I'm using the bike mostly to commute, riding almost every day, covering anything between 4 and 10 miles per ride. The roads vary from smooth and flat to somewhat bumpy.

Now, I'm thoroughly enjoying it, but my calves have been KILLING me for the past couple of days! I can barely stand straight! I know I'll probably get used to the stress eventually, but any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Secondly, mid-way through a trip my hands are turning really numb. I'm wearing a pair of gelled gloves, but it didn't really help. I have to constantly wring my hands to get some feeling back, but doing that uphill is a bit difficult as I have to keep both hands on the bar or I'd fall over! Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Sounds like your saddle is down at the nose, try levelling it.

TWBNK

It sounds daft but I had similar with my hands on a longish ride and I loosened off the straps on the gloves a bit. It helped. I think it was that they were tightening up with the added extension of the wrists whilst holding the handles.

Top Bottom