Cambridge - I don't belieeeeeve it!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Went to visit my sister in Cambridge last weekend. It's amazing we ever hear about students who studied there, you wouldn't think any would survive as all those on bike don't seem to bother with lights or helmets and insist on wearing dark clothes!

I suppose there's so many of them about you end up watching out for them rather than running them down. Aparently every so often the police have a clampdown and fine a load of them for not having lights, but it doesn't seem to make much difference.

I'd just feel so vulnerable riding like they do.

Cab

It isn't every so often, its a more or less constant state of affairs that plod here clamp down on cyclists. Shame really, as the motorists are let get away with whatever they want.

<raises hand> I have lights...and luminous ankle bands...and reflective thingies on my panniers....

It'd be a lot less dangerous to cycle in the dark if so many people round here didn't remove their brain before stepping into their car (particularly on the school run). Do 4x4s have a box in the glove compartment to store the driver's brain in while he or she is at the wheel? It wouldn't need to be very big....

Cab

Another thing to remember is that on our narrow, twisted, well lit streets you can normally see cyclists as far away as you have visibility, even at night time. Lights make it easier, but not much easier.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
The traffic moves so slowly in central cambridge that you're not in much danger anyway. The roads further afield are quite wide. Bit hairy near Addenbrookes, but other than that it's generally fine.......

Top Bottom