Camel Trail - type of bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

livpoksoc

Guru
Toying with riding the Camel Trail in Cornwall, as part of a longer route in the coming weeks. I was wondering if it's safe to ride on road tyres, or if gravel is recommended?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Did it a few years ago, from memory I'm pretty sure it is mostly tarmac or smooth gravel and would be fine on a road bike. Can't even remember which bike I used but do know my wife was riding surprisingly fast and heading up the family peloton like a pro lead-out rider!
It can get busy, 'traffic' and randomness are you biggest issues. You will be fine if you are laid back about progress.

OP
OP
livpoksoc

livpoksoc

Guru
Did it a few years ago, from memory I'm pretty sure it is mostly tarmac or smooth gravel and would be fine on a road bike. Can't even remember which bike I used but do know my wife was riding surprisingly fast and heading up the family peloton like a pro lead-out rider!
It can get busy, 'traffic' and randomness are you biggest issues. You will be fine if you are laid back about progress.
Lovely. Not too worried about time/speed, more worried about punctures for that stretch as I'd like to include it as a part of a circuit from the hotel.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Looking at reviews and official guides, most is fine china clay or crushed stone, but a few bits are slightly more gnarly gravel. You will get dusty if it's dry and filthy with clay if it's wet.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Have you ridden it, @rogerzilla ?
If not, it's great to see you engaged with this 'chat' question.
With all due respect and imo, based on riding it a few times in both dry and rainy conditions, the deductions you make are ill-founded.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
No issues in taking road bikes either way between Padstow and Wadebridge. Lovely views along the estuary on a bright day.
Fine on 25mm tyres. Birds, water-skiers, boats and an obelisk to look at. Plus drinks and ice-cream at the quarry.
Engineering fans can enjoy old and new bridges plus a pair of Archimedes' Screws at the Wadebridge sewage works!

Go upstream beyond Egloshayle and the surface is more suited to wider tyres. Views aren't so far reaching, but on a hot day you'll appreciate the dappled woodland shade and the sounds of the river as it becomes more of a tinkling stream.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I rode on the camel trail a lot when I lived in Wadebridge. Winter time I would use my gravel bike. From March to October/November time I took my carbon roadie, with its gatorskin skinny tyres. Take a spare tube (or 2) and a repair kit, just in case.
I would ride from Wadebridge up to The Snails Pace cafe. Often would ride past my house on the way back and ride up to Padstow for a lolly. Occasionally I would pop to Bodmin, but not often. To Snails by trail and back by road was fun, bit lumpier, but nice views.

Top Bottom