Camera advice for stills and videos indoors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm trying to work out the best camera to make still and video pictures. Unfortunately I'm computer/camera illiterate.
I'd like to make images and videos of modelmaking and possibly bike maintenance i.e. indoors, so I'd need to have a monitor on the camera to check the picture from in front. I did a few trials on my cell phone but the quality isn't great for anything other then close-ups, so I'm looking for a camera that can take decent (for blog or YouTube) pictures.
I notice there are some cameras which have a screen I can turn to face me, but these look expensive and the screen is of necessity rather small so I was wondering if it's possible to connect a camera to a laptop or a screen to save money and also get a better view.
One redeeming feature on the smart phone is the voice activation because I generally need both hands for what I'm doing. Is this an option on 'normal' cameras?

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Plenty of phone holders have tripod mounts. My daughter used one during the pandemic for "online" piano lessons via WhatsApp.

Otherwise, the Sony Handycam (or similar) option might be okay. Plenty of them have remote controls, and the HDMI output should give you a monitor output whilst recording. Lots of digital camcorders available on ebay.

Top Bottom