camera for touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
I wouldn't take an f2.8 zoom though, even if I owned one, which I don't. But then again I think I'd be unlikely to drop £3k on equipment just to leave it at home :smile:

Because the Pentax is weatherproof (as they all are) you can rinse it under a tap if it gets stuff on it, and as mine has the 50mm almost permanently attached it's really quite compact for an SLR - it will fir in a bar bag at least. Don't forget that your 5d is "full frame" whereas the Pentax is APS-C so the prism can be smaller.

I like riding my bike and I like taking pictures. For me the extra weight and bulk is justified by being able to combine my hobbies. That said the fixed lens Fuji's look nice is I ever have a spare £900 I can't think of another use for. But then I could get some of the very compact and lovely Limited lenese for my Pentax instead.

I'd suggest that "shoving" any sort of camera in some one's face uninvited is insensitive and rude. Quite why you think that is something unique to an SLR I don't know!

I wasn't suggesting you would do this.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
This is a topic close to my heart as I am both a touring cyclist and a motorbike tourist. I have looked into dozens of cameras.

I have an old Canon 8MP, 6 x optical zoom, point and push camera. It has fallen off the motorbike a couple of times and almost drown in the mud off Mont St Michel. It still works fine and the big bonus is that it is powered by 2 AA batteries, which last ages. It saves having to carry a charger and finding electric points.

I also have a Sony cyber shot 16.2 MP which is swish little camera for a point and push and even has GPS to show you where you took the photos. It takes excellent photos, even 3D photos.

But if I am touring, I always carry my Nikon D5100 DSLR and a couple of lenses. With a point and push you may get a few really good photos of your trip. But with my D5100 I get lots and lots of first class photos.

It depends what is important to you. A really good camera is important to me and I am willing to scale down my clothes, books etc, to make space for my camera.

But I always carry a point and push in my pocket.

Steve

I just take a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FT 4 with me. It is claimed to be shockproof and waterproof so works fine in run and copes with the rough and tumble of bike touring. I take a couple of batteries with me (genuine ones) and find I can get close to a month out of them if I am careful about my use (e.g., limiting to no more than six photos a day). Easy enough to carry additional batteries if desired.

Anderw

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Kill two birds one stone and get a Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom. The digital camera that thinks it is a mobile phone. Spare batteries, or an external USB battery pack.

Top Bottom