Camera recommendations ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
After an incident with a car a few weeks back. I finally took the plunge a brought a cycling camera - I went for the fly 12 due to its long battery life. Unfortunately this proved very unreliable and stopped recording altogether after about 3 rides - the supplier have said I can have a refund or a replacement.

Initially I thought I would go for a refund. But after looking around there doesn't seem another camera that comes close to the battery life of the fly 12 (10 hours) - At the moment I have stopped commuting so would mainly need the camera for longer weekend rides and club runs.

I got the fly 12 for £180 - anybody know of anything comparable. The garmin virb seems popular but only has 3 hours battery life and I am confused by the many different versions out there. ?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
They all lie about battery life in my experience. I'd get one which can record from USB power. I'm currently back using a cheap MD80 because I dropped my camera with a screen a few times and it now powers on but won't record. So I'd say a rubber case is probably a good thing too!

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
if you can get a previous model Go Pro Hero (a 2, 3 or 4), its a no brainer. They are bullet proof. I will try and find you a deal

Mile195

Veteran
I've been using a Contour Roam 2, most days, since October 2015. It gets charged every night, and maybe I'm just extremely lucky, but it still shoots my entire return journey to work and back (3 hours) every day without the battery dying. I do run it in Low quality/low res mode at 25 frames per second which extends battery life, but even so, I wouldn't have any hesitation buying another one when it does finally fail.

That said, I understand Contour do a "special" USB lead (which I understand simply has two of the pins reversed) that you can use to charge and shoot at the same time, so I may not even replace it when the internal battery finally karks it. I might just get a little external battery instead.

Also, I've dropped it about a million times too... it seems to be virtually indestructable!

Finally If you have a Garmin cycle computer, it probably came with an up-front mount. You can buy an after market bracket off ebay that screws to the bottom of that mount too so it doesn't even take up any handlebar space. Happy days...

I got a GitUp2 camera, its very good quality, beats GoPro on value where you are just paying for a brand name and a bit more polish, it's not really needed for a cycle camera that gets daily abuse. Nowhere near 10 hours life though sadly. similar to other cams of this size, the battery being the main limitation, I get about 3 hours at 1080p, longer if not bothered about 60fps, longer still if you're happy with 720p at 30 fps, but I don't need to go longer and appreciate the extra sharpness for reading number plates far off into the distance. You can always add external batteries as others say, but I'll warn you, that could compromise waterproof casings on wet days, which is most days around here :biggrin:

Last edited:

crazyjoe101

Think contour went bust though didn't they ?
Contour went bush and were re-launched. http://contour.com/

Their marketing is very, very poor but they released a roam 3 and it looks like they have a new higher-end option coming.

Top Bottom