Cameras - for commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Schneil

Veteran
I'd really like a recommendation for a camera too. My drift ghost x froze this morning and now does not want to switch on.

If anyone's interested:
Good points of the ghost x:
There's a time and date stamp on the recordings, it loops the SD card so you don't run out of space, reasonably waterproof, acceptable battery life, acceptable image quality, it's lasted 5 years

Bad points of ghost x:
The LCD screen is too small, there's no low battery warning - it just turns off, the rubber flap for the SD card snapped and drift never replaced it despite being under warranty.

So I'd appreciate any suggestions for something newer/better

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Currently using a TOOO Cycling DVR80, before that a Cycliq Fly6. Both combination rear light / cameras. Both suit the way I use the camera which is to use it as a light, never review the footage unless I have something to report (rare- last report was a passenger throwing a bottle at me- that was on the Cycliq). Use it more for reports to highways agency. I don't like to fuss about with things and both options allow me to use the camera without worrying about anything more than charging. On both video is recorded until the card fills up, then the oldest stuff is overwritten.

Schneil

Veteran
Currently using a TOOO Cycling DVR80, before that a Cycliq Fly6. Both combination rear light / cameras. Both suit the way I use the camera which is to use it as a light, never review the footage unless I have something to report (rare- last report was a passenger throwing a bottle at me- that was on the Cycliq). Use it more for reports to highways agency. I don't like to fuss about with things and both options allow me to use the camera without worrying about anything more than charging. On both video is recorded until the card fills up, then the oldest stuff is overwritten.

That's a good suggestion. I bought a techalogic rear light camera for the same reason - having a rear light that is a camera is very handy. I used to have a fly6, but have found they kept dying when just out of warranty, also the gen3 received poor reviews.

I'd really like a front facing helmet camera though, as most of the "interesting" stuff normally happens to the front of me. The Drift's been pretty good, apart from the Achillies heel of no low battery warning.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I'd really like a recommendation for a camera too. My drift ghost x froze this morning and now does not want to switch on.

If anyone's interested:
Good points of the ghost x:
There's a time and date stamp on the recordings, it loops the SD card so you don't run out of space, reasonably waterproof, acceptable battery life, acceptable image quality, it's lasted 5 years

Bad points of ghost x:
The LCD screen is too small, there's no low battery warning - it just turns off, the rubber flap for the SD card snapped and drift never replaced it despite being under warranty.

So I'd appreciate any suggestions for something newer/better

When this has happened to my Ghost XL, I have pressed the reset button... or tried plugging it into a PC?

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I used to have a fly6, but have found they kept dying when just out of warranty

Mine was quite reliable*- it had one odd fault, which was easy to work around. If I left it on the bike when I put it away in my Asgard bike store and the temperature dropped to around freezing then the next day it would give up recording after 15 minutes- exactly 15 minutes on the timestamp (it would be fine on re-starting). If I took it inside the flat it would be fine. I wondered if some moisture in the motion sensor thing froze and it turned itself off due to 'inactivity'. Could have been a cold solder joint that would contract that little bit too far when cold- never did get to the bottom of it.

*the battery life became too short after a good few years of use- it's possible to replace them, but not straightforward.

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **
I’ve a GoPro Hero 4 Session, bought second hand. Good during daylight but not good in very low light / night time conditions. Easy to review footage via wifi. Battery lasts just over an hour in continuous record. It’s easily swapped between bikes as I’ve a mount on all 4 (ahem) bikes.

I’ve also bought a rather cheap camera (Victure) for rear facing. Does the job but more hassle if I want the footage as it needs copied off the SD Card via laptop/PC.

I use the cameras on leisure rides and commutes. I rarely report incidents to the police - it has to be very close to pass my threshold. It has also been useful evidence when I hit a dodgy section of road which wrecked a wheel and almost caused me to come off. Mostly though I use the cameras to make short compilations of club spins which the club mates enjoy.

I’ve also had 3 instances in the past 18 months where drivers have waited up the road and got out of their vehicles looking to have a word with me - one hit a pothole as he over took - my fault apparently…another nearly wiped me out on a junction when he pulled out almost into me - again he wasn’t content with just almost hitting me but wanted ‘a word’ because I shouted a few expletives.

Schneil

Veteran
When this has happened to my Ghost XL, I have pressed the reset button... or tried plugging it into a PC?
My Ghost X went on charge Wednesday night. Thursday morning it was unplugged and left for 20 mins. It was frozen on the drift logo screen, so I pressed the reset button.
After pressing the reset button, it won't even turn on, it seems dead. I've tried: removing the SD card, having the battery removed overnight, pressing the power and reset buttons together. I've had no luck with any of those methods.
I've tried connecting it up to my mac, and it's not appearing as a USB device.
I'll try with my Ubuntu laptop whenI get home and see if there are any errors in dmesg.
I'm not sure what else I can do with it :sad:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
My Ghost X went on charge Wednesday night. Thursday morning it was unplugged and left for 20 mins. It was frozen on the drift logo screen, so I pressed the reset button.
After pressing the reset button, it won't even turn on, it seems dead. I've tried: removing the SD card, having the battery removed overnight, pressing the power and reset buttons together. I've had no luck with any of those methods.
I've tried connecting it up to my mac, and it's not appearing as a USB device.
I'll try with my Ubuntu laptop whenI get home and see if there are any errors in dmesg.
I'm not sure what else I can do with it :sad:

It's worth bunging Drift a message - they may take a little while to respond but they may have an answer.

Schneil

Veteran
Drift never got back to me :sad:

In desperation I bought a drift ghost XL. It's slightly bigger than the X and has a better rubber flap. The battery life is noticeably better.

People have various reasons for running cameras. I know there are some who run them, drive(and cycle) poorly and their footage ends up on a dash cam YouTube channel.

Mine is for being my witness. I commute through some areas of Manchester with high rates of poor driving and uninsured cars (rusholme, longsight, levenshulme). It's like whacky races. There's also some who either see cyclists as an inconvenience or are hostile. These have no reservations about closely overtaking or deliberately pulling into/out of a junction and expecting you to get out of their way.

So if I get a bad incident, I send the footage and details to greater Manchester police via their online portal. Some weeks I have no submissions, others I have one or two. Only a few have resulted in "no further action". They've mainly been warning letters, section 59s, or "sent to the central ticketing office".
(Eg last week I was right hooked and had to emergency stop. The offending driver then stopped and started screaming that he was going to kill me. I never said a word! That earned him a S59 and ticketing office.)

Having a camera won't stop these incidents. However if one does occur then at least there is comeback and the offending driver will hopefully change their behaviour after.

Juliansou

I’ve run a GoPro hero 4 picked up second hand a while back. Fantastic picture quality but with a run time in only an hour or so, just not practical ( swapping out batteries is a pain!). I’ve recently bought a Techalogic front camera & light - great bit of kit. About 3.5 hours run time with the light going, about 7 (claimed) without. Picture quality is not a good as the GoPro but not far off and plenty good enough. Cost just under £100 so not massively expensive. My only (slightly shallow I know!) issue is that is doesn’t look very nice.

Gwylan

Veteran
Interesting
I'd like a rear facing camera. It would be good if I can play that in real time on my phone. Sort of doubles as a rear view mirror. And a record for the local close encounter brigade.

After an earlier accident and old age my neck is not a flexible as it might be.

Suggestions??

Top Bottom