Cameras - for commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Albrey

Are there any recommendations for cameras to record close passes etc when commuting.. I don't really fancy spending £479 on on GoPro 360?

The more you spend typically the better the image and better the stabilization but that doesn't mean you can't use an entry level camera with basic stabilization. There is a model here which is about £22.99 using the 50% voucher code.

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09P5FMMW3

It's unlikely to be true to the spec given but it will probably work well enough in the 2.7k 60fps mode with EIS. It's probably based on a cheap allwinner chipset, the 4k60 mode is probably fake just frame doubling and the 4k 30 is probably true 4k 30 but no image stabilization but the 2.7k mode hopefully provides decent stabilized video for commuting. The 20MP image is probably interpolated from something like 12MP.

I can't recommend the camera of course but I expect it would be satisfactory for commuting. You'll also need a reasonably large micro sd card and a powerbank to give long runtimes.

Why strap on equipment at the start of a ride in anticipation of something bad happening? It'll destroy the enjoyment.
I've been knocked off a few times by bad driving but never been remotely tempted to take the "victim in anticipation" route.

I can see your logic but if all cyclists are pro-active in showing which motorists are dangerous it can only be positive. If the police receive 3 reports of the same car driving dangerously and risking the lifes of cyclists then there is a good chance action will be taken against that driver and could save the life of a cyclist. Also even if you don't even put the camera on it can be seen as a visible deterent to some motorists. Just stick a cheap and nasty £5 action camera under your saddle pointing behind could well motivate drivers to give you more distance.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I use a Cycliq Fly 12, (pre CE version). Excellent recording, but now likely only available second hand, or if you are very lucky NOS. It stays fixed to the handlebar and doubles up as a backup light. The memory card is easily removable, without taking the camera off the bike, should I want to report a bad driver, or use the captured footage for some other reason. And it will charge without taking it off my bike.
@Arjimlad IIRC you use a helmet or body mounted camera.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I have a couple of AKASO EK7000, about £50 off Amazon, no doubt other sellers are available. Quality of video is good. It has been good enough for a few Reports to Police to be followed up successfully, over the past 4 or so years I have had them. I have one mounted under seat, facing to rear, and, one on handlebars facing forward.

Good evening,

A definite plus 1 to @slowmotion.

When I started my latest commute a couple of years ago there was a scafolding company whose trucks and I were frequently on the same bit of road, a steep hill on a B road and they didn't really like cyclists. I get that as they are in big trucks being forced to drive slowly up a hill.

Over the years sometimes I will pull over to let them pass, other times I will wave them past me at the next juntion where we both turn left rather then force them to be behind me for a while longer and other times I will wave them past when you could argue that such a pass would be close.

I reckon that over these 2 years it has cost me ten minutes in total commuting time .... and guess what? I get a lot of space, no reving engines or beeping horns.

Cyclists and motorists both have rights but we are also sharing the same road with different objectives and capabilities, reporting drivers to the police doesn't win friends.

However I do accept that sometimes education can be a good thing, I regularly get a close pass from a Fiat 500, the driver waits for ages to be sure that it is safe to pass so I am pretty sure that he/she doesn't understand how wide the tiny car is, as it passes at about 4mph faster than I am going.

But if that driver loses their licence as they are too old to be driving, will the cyclist who reported them be the hero or villain, even though the family probably knows that it is the time for the driver to surrender their driving licence?

Bye

Ian

Last edited:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Personally I was sick of close passes, whether commuting or cycling for leisure at the weekends. The final straw was one Sunday being forced to the edge of the kerb by a driver with a trailer, who couldn't wait a few seconds to safely pass me, despite me travelling around 18mph.
Driving 2 tons or more of metal carries responsibility.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
But if that driver loses their licence as they are too old to be driving, will the cyclist who reported them be the hero or villain, even though the family probably knows that it is the time for the driver to surrender their driving licence?

They would lose their licence only for multiple bad driving reports, not for being old. Getting such people out of driving can only be a good thing. If you aren’t safe driving, then you shouldn’t be on the road.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Why does the camera have to be solely used for capturing bad drivers.

They can be just as useful when reporting surface defects/potholes. You have a picture of both the exact location and the size of the defect/pothole, which you can include with any report.

Very true. I used a bit of video to report a section of poor surface on cycle track. Council resurfaced it.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I had some very dangerous close passes & now run cameras on my commute and leisure rides.

I look forward to grabbing shots of beautiful sunrises etc, and I sometimes make videos of rides for my own pleasure.

At the time, my main reason for getting cameras was to provide evidence - if the worst happened to me or I was injured. It felt like a real possibility.

Now reporting is easy in Avon & Somerset, I take the opportunity to report bad driving. It pays off when you see the same drivers on your commute being much more careful. Asking nicely (and I rarely catch up with the drivers anyway) is rarely productive.

I do pull over on narrow roads and let drivers pass from either direction, I give way wherever possible, I'm well-lit, I smile & wave thanks, and yet there's a dangerous minority who won't drive with due care. Asking these ones nicely simply does not work. They need to know that actions can have consequences.

I have a https://passpixi.com/ which made a big difference to close passes - didn't eliminate them but has reduced the frequency.

My helmet camera is a Drift Ghost XL on old firmware. It's been good and costs about £150 full price, there are frequent offers on them, or CEX sometimes have used ones with a 2-yr warranty on them for £90 or so. A bit of a lump on the side of the helmet but it is visible to drivers and has good enough quality footage for most needs, although no image stabilisation. It does very well on battery life - 7-8 hours or so. I'd recommend it. Drift's customer service can be slow but they get there in the end. It helped me to have an old firmware version for the best reliability and image quality.

At the back I have a Magicshine SeeMee DV light/camera combination which takes good if bouncy footage and has a long battery life again.

My son has a Chilli Tech camera on his helmet which is fine during the day, but hopeless at night.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Why strap on equipment at the start of a ride in anticipation of something bad happening? It'll destroy the enjoyment.
I've been knocked off a few times by bad driving but never been remotely tempted to take the "victim in anticipation" route.

I've got sympathy with both sides.

I'm very grateful that many people do video and report, at the very least I would guess it makes the individual driver less likely to repeat. I don't think this is about victimhood.

Equally, for me personally, like you I can't be doing with faffing around with unnecessary gadgetry, and I think it would make me feel different about riding, so I won't be going there myself.

Top Bottom