Cameras for cycle lanes/boxes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

col

Legendary Member
Agreed,i used to get annoyed at vans and wagons parking in cycle lanes /bus lanes,but i had a eureka moment and realised they needed to deliver their goods,so it doesnt bother me at all now,they/you have a job to do after all.

OP
OP
Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman

Rhythm Thief said:
To be honest, if I have a high street delivery to do and there are cycle lanes on each side of the road, I park in the cycle lane. And will continue to do so, I'm afraid. If a camera's going to pick me up and fine me £120 every time I do so, a lot of people are going to have to start doing without a lot of things.

I've wondered about some of those solid lined cycle lanes and delivery/taxi drivers having to stop to pick up and drop off/deliver etc. The ones we have around here don't have any signs showing times of operation, so I assume that they are 24/7. According to the Highway Code :-
215: You MUST NOT stop or park on

the carriageway or the hard shoulder of a motorway except in an emergency (see Rule 244)
a pedestrian crossing, including the area marked by the zig-zag lines (see Rule 167)
a Clearway (see Traffic signs section)
a Bus Stop Clearway within its hours of operation
taxi bays as indicated by upright signs and markings
-an Urban Clearway within its hours of operation, except to pick up or set down passengers (see Traffic signs section)
a road marked with double white lines, except to pick up or set down passengers
a bus, tram or cycle lane during its period of operation
a cycle track
red lines, in the case of specially designated 'red routes', unless otherwise indicated by signs.
Laws MT(E&W)R regs 7 & 9, MT(S)R regs 6 & 8, ZPPPCRGD regs 18 & 20, RTRA sects 5 & 8, TSRGD regs 10, 26, 27 & 29(1), RTA 1988 sects 36 & 21(1)

So does that mean that anyone wishing to make deliveries etc should park in the carriageway (outside the cycle lane)?

Cab

Oh, this is a good one. Taken from one of the comments in the Times article:

Several of our local important roads including the A127 London - Southend road have cycle paths which we have paid for; why is it that cyclists use the roads and ignore the special tracks which are well clear of the car areas an, one would think, safer?

What do the police do when cyclists ride down the centre of the road and minimum speed deliberately holding up traffic? Nothing

What they do, David Brown of Brentwood, Essex, is they try to prosecute you for legally using the road ar a reasonable speed. No one rides down the middle of the road just to hold up traffic, thats in your head.

And then, after they police have tried to prosecute you, the appeals court throws the case out because the police officers who took that to the CPS were being idiots, and cyclists have a right to ignore stupid cycle lanes and be on the road.

Don't believe me? Google the Daniel Cadden case.

Cab

col said:
Agreed,i used to get annoyed at vans and wagons parking in cycle lanes /bus lanes,but i had a eureka moment and realised they needed to deliver their goods,so it doesnt bother me at all now,they/you have a job to do after all.

Generally speaking I can deal with the delivery vans. I rekon most of the taxi drivers should know better though.

col

Legendary Member
That wont apply in my town,the bus lanes are for taxis too,and what cycle lanes we do have,that seem to end nowhere and use half a normal lane which have just been painted on to give a car about half a lane of width in some places,dont really come into it for us.

monnet

Guru
col said:
That wont apply in my town,the bus lanes are for taxis too,and what cycle lanes we do have,that seem to end nowhere and use half a normal lane which have just been painted on to give a car about half a lane of width in some places,dont really come into it for us.

Yes, I'm a big fan of the cyle lane that becomes a parking area that becomes a cycle lane half the size of the orginal and then disappears (usually where it might actually be useful) and then re emerges at safe distance from any danger.

Pete

Regarding bus lanes and what I've observed about them in my rather limited exposure to London's streets: just to clarify what I said before:

I wouldn't call them a haven for nervous or inexperienced cyclists. Indeed they can be as nerve-jangling and unsafe as any other part of the highway. Only Dutch-style cycle paths can keep you more or less completely safe. And as a by-product, keep you from ever learning how to deal with traffic...

What they do offer, for the experienced cyclist, is a means of making fast progress through otherwise snarled-up streets. You have plenty of width, a clear road ahead, and you can get up to normal cycling speed, which I find well-nigh impossible in ordinary near-stationary traffic. Of course there are hazards: the bus or taxi coming up fast behind, the stopped bus which you will often want to overtake, pushing yourself into the traffic, the sudden ending of the bus lane at traffic lights...

Some of this can also be said, of course, of the painted-on cycle lane at the side of the carriageway, although you don't have the width and usually can't maintain the same sort of speed. Of course you will inevitably come up against the parked car or other obstruction and will need to overtake. You need to learn how to do this safely, even though it means exposing yourself briefly to the main stream of traffic. There are no easy answers. All cyclists start out as novice cyclists: I would wish them - even children - to develop into 'experienced' cyclists as quickly as possible. I have seen plenty of child (well - teenage anyway) cyclists who seem perfectly capable of coping in difficult traffic.

Top Bottom