Cameras for Law Enforcement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Had reservations about these mass deployment but the series of early convictions has turned my head around. The late Sarah Everard case is great example and outcome for one of the hideous acts. The Kiwi case involving the British backpacker is another example. Another hideous cat. The video and photos was more than enough.

Not sure if it will become an effective deterrent but it will reduce time and resources spent on police work, investigation and prosecution. Also stops BS and excuses from law enforcement trying to avoid their responsibilities and managing PR.

Now that motorists and cyclists are handing over the footage leading to action has to be a plus as well.

I have no doubt the big brother concerns will always be there Ok, fair enough that there might be an image of me after a visit to local doing something unbecoming but I guess it will a small price to pay.

Punkawallah

Über Member
Iirc, a recent post on CC bemoaned the lack of police response to a vandalised window, because the ‘video could Not identify the vandal’? Was the video of the Everard incident backed up by other evidence? From what I have seen, neither are identifiable,

Drago

Legendary Member
The case in the news was slightly different. The dibble were tracking a suspect, mainly using CCTV and dashcsm footage, and once a suspect was identified they had other means by which to confirm they were the villain (DNA, other forensics, BOF data, etx).

With the vandal the only evidence wss the cctv. If a facial image cannot be resolved then it useless for identification purposes under PACE Code C. That mighr be different for a serious crime where other evidence exists, as the images of clothing, or their gait, might identify a petson of interest, and from there the evidence can be applied. But where the only evidence is cctv with no facial image, it is of zero value as a detection tool.

There is one other thing that people dont appreciate. Someone car is damaged and the victim slips an image from their CCTV onto Felchberk, and some random person, a friend of a friend, sports in and gives a name. Unless that person is willing the give a statement and is prepared to appear in court then the name alone is useless for identification purposes. Their statement will have to include how they knew thenpersin, when they last saw them, why they think it is the person, what made them click on that oage, and even the size and quality of the phone screen upon which they viewed the image.

Last edited:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
It’s a double edged sword. But it has opened my eyes to how much footage exists if they need it.
For a very serious case like the recent murder of Sabina Nessa the police can spend huge numbers of hours reviewing vast quantities of footage and will issue “wanted photos” nationwide.
They simply can’t do that for every crime, which causes understandable resentment if the victim knows there is footage to be used but is feeling ignored.
Maybe AI will help in future.

The case in the news was slightly different. The dibble were tracking a suspect, mainly using CCTV and dashcsm footage, and once a suspect was identified they had other means by which to confirm they were the villain (DNA, other forensics, BOF data, etx).

what's BOF Data Drago?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
But where the only evidence is cctv with no facial image, it is of zero value as a detection tool.

That is true, but you and I both know had the lad used the hole in my window to access the property and kill me the coppers would have had it wrapped up in a week.

I do not expect the police to mount a major investigation over a broken window, but I'm afraid your post accords with the habit of too many serving coppers who are only interested in telling the victim what they can't do, rather than what they can.

As regards Ms Everard, I'm not sure for what distance the car journey was tracked, but I wonder how much harder it would have been to catch Couzens had he not rented the car in his own name.

It goes back to only stupid criminals being caught.

You will rarely see cases of skilled, high value burglaries in court because they are rarely detected.

Lots of drunken/drugged up knackers who smash a window, leave blood all over the scene, and are arrested staggering down the street carrying the flat screen telly.

Baldy

Über Member
The problem with all this emphasis on cameras is they're OK for identifying the culprit after the act, but not much use in actually stopping him in the first place. Knowing that the cops will get the b*****d is not much consolidation when you're laying in the mortuary.

That is true, but you and I both know had the lad used the hole in my window to access the property and kill me the coppers would have had it wrapped up in a week.

I do not expect the police to mount a major investigation over a broken window, but I'm afraid your post accords with the habit of too many serving coppers who are only interested in telling the victim what they can't do, rather than what they can.

As regards Ms Everard, I'm not sure for what distance the car journey was tracked, but I wonder how much harder it would have been to catch Couzens had he not rented the car in his own name.

It goes back to only stupid criminals being caught.

You will rarely see cases of skilled, high value burglaries in court because they are rarely detected.

Lots of drunken/drugged up knackers who smash a window, leave blood all over the scene, and are arrested staggering down the street carrying the flat screen telly.
Presumably the car hire place would have CCTV so it wouldn't make a huge amount of difference if he'd used a false identity ?

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Presumably the car hire place would have CCTV so it wouldn't make a huge amount of difference if he'd used a false identity ?
It’s difficult to hire a car using a false name as you need lots of documents.
Far easier to use false number plates. Then it becomes very difficult to trace.

The problem with all this emphasis on cameras is they're OK for identifying the culprit after the act, but not much use in actually stopping him in the first place. Knowing that the cops will get the b*****d is not much consolidation when you're laying in the mortuary.
what do you suggest?

Presumably the cameras put some people off carrying out these actions as the risk of getting caught is so much higher now ?

God knows how the copper thought he would get away with it. I think the clean up rate for murder is something like 92% and leaving the remains close to your property isn't a genius idea.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
One would think the ever increasing likelihood of being captured on camera will be deterring some offending.

However, the motivation for sex offending, especially against children, appears so strong all logical considerations go out of the window.

One advantage of police badge cams recording their interactions with the public is that it can prevent some who might be tempted to overstep the mark and dish out a little street justice.

Regarding general cctv the mass implementation of doorbell cameras has implications.

Do rental cars have gps trackers? I dont see how anyone using 2020's tech can avoid leaving a digital footprint.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Some aggressive types seem to think that if they catch/film someone on their home cctv doing something illegal or anti social they can ask who the person is then take the law into their own hands. I've seen quite a lot of these types on this town's facebook page, showing videos of those who let their dog have a shoot then leave it and those who break into vehicles. One showed a video of some bloke walking off, leaving his dog's mess behind. Yes,it was anti social and very annoying, but the idiot posted words to the affect of "Anyone know who this ~#@'! is? I need to find him to give him a good kicking"!:rolleyes: One bloke who'd had his work tools stolen from his van said "I want to find him before the police do"! I posted asking the vehicle and tools owner if by any chance the vehicle was locked at the time. He replied "No it wasn't! Anyway,what the f..k has it got to do with you"?!

I rest my case m'lud!:rolleyes:

Top Bottom