Cameras

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banksie

HI - newbie so please be gentle with me.

Have been looking at cameras to fit to helmet, fed up getting abused when out and about by impatient drivers, most of the ones on the market look ridiculous attached to the helmet - have been looking at the sun glasses with the built in camera, does anybody know if they are any good

vickster

Legendary Member
Why not put one on your handlebars? Safer than on a helmet

Also, look at your riding style and road positioning to see if anything can be done there to make your progress more hassle free (and safer)

OP
OP
B

Banksie

Had one there but doesn't pick up the idiots that come too close without turning handlebars - where I live there is a hatred for cyclists, we have a few cycle lanes but on a road bike with puncture resistant tyres the cycle path is a back breaker - need to re educate drivers but that is another topic for another day

PaulSB

Legendary Member

Have been looking at cameras to fit to helmet, fed up getting abused when out and about by impatient drivers, most of the ones on the market look ridiculous attached to the helmet - have been looking at the sun glasses with the built in camera, does anybody know if they are any good

I hate to disappoint you but a camera won't stop you getting abuse.

OP
OP
B

Banksie

i appreciate that but had a major incident last night and managed to get my phone out of pocket to take photos of the car and driver as soon as this happened he sped off but have given details and photos to police. It is more of a deterrent

vickster

Legendary Member
Surely a deterrent to nobbery needs to be visible, thus a large helmet cam is more visible than specs under a helmet? Even if they look a bit daft

Drago

Legendary Member
If you only want a deterrent paint a fag packet silver and tape if to your lid. Cheap, and it won't spear into your brain if you're unlucky enough to auger straight into it.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
The only use for a camera is in accidents, if you want to be a YouTube warrior or if you are Jeremy Vine. The police at least around here (Thames Valley) really don't care and don't pretend to care.

I tend to use one for a bit after accidents but then it is just one more thing to recharge. All of my cycle accidents have been quite clear "you tit" driver at fault anyway.

Drago

Legendary Member
Yeah, TVP really went downhill since I left them.

Tangoup51

Hey Banksie,

I will start off by saying Welcome to Cyclechat.

Now the reasons you want a camera are as follows

1) You want to deter/capture any potential harm caused by motorists
2) You want something that looks good and modest.

- Sadly, these reasons contradict themselves. If you want less abuse, it's better to have something to prevent it in the first place.
to do just that, you need something that is visible - as an active deterrent. For this, there is no better place to put a camera than the Helmet.

However, sacrificing the modesty does come with a plus side; not only are you able to deter motorists in the first place, but should anything ever happen anyway you are More able to capture it.

Confining your camera to a "modest" place (such as handlebars) will result in less dynamic footage that can potentially capture important points.

However, if you still want to start slow and put the camera in a less revealing place it is your choice.

If you take this route, you will be treated as per usual and the camera will only serve a use for When something has already happened. - Rather, than deterring it beforehand.

The negative for the modesty is not only the lack of pre-hand deterrent, it's also for when something has occurred. The best place to put your camera is on the handlebars However vibrations are strong from the handlebar and can blur camera quality.

Now let's talk about the ways to get the best of both these worlds.

1) The right cameras

2) How many cameras

If you purchase the Right camera, you can get a good blend of modesty (Well hidden) and ability to capture alot of dynamic footage. (such as, the camera glasses)

However, the quality of these smaller cameras is quite drastic at the low end; so low infact that it's hard for the cameras to pick up number plates in the time of day. - These Cheap (sub <£30.00) Small cameras are best avoided. - Camera glasses are expensive in the whole; any cheaper onces will yield less quality which can be fatal for when you really need the footage.

Your best bet is to purchase a medium tier camera of intermediate scale. Look at the SJ4000 (or even, its chinese copies) for a good blend of price, size and quality.

Now, how many cameras you get is based purely on how much you're willing to spend. Often, it's not uncommon to see 1 expensive camera on the front; and 1 cheapo on the back of a bicycle nowadays.

While that's all good and dandy you should remember that whatever you purchase up front should be spent on the back too. - You can cut corners, but both are equally as important directions to put a camera in.

If you are only going to use one camera it is always advised you point it Forward. - While logically you would assume it'd be best pointed from behind, don't be so sure - this is personal preference to alot of people but in sharp reality you will always capture more potentially unsafe footage in the direction you are going to travel rather than the places you have just travelled.

Now, here are some personal tips from me.

With whatever camera you buy you can play with where you want it. - You don't have to limit yourself; even if it didn't come with the right attachments.

For example, I have my camera installed on the very front of my helmet - SJ4000; I couldn't use the attachments that came with it to do this, instead, I made a brace out of Cable ties; which works incredibly well, keeping it stiff, quiet and also managable for when i need to open the camera out of its waterproof case.

- It also looks very modest. - Being on the front of my helmet means it follows the curves downward - doesn't stick up tall and become a deterrent, but I didn't want it to be so noticeable. - It's literally pinned to the front of the helmet which allows me to capture dynamic footage too.

Bare these things in mind and more importantly take your time.

Note: To some drivers a camera will not be a deterrent at all.

400bhp

Guru
I really don't believe a camera is a deterrant.

Anyway, as stated above I have a SJ4000 mounted on the handlebars of my commuter. It captures close passes more than adequately. There are a few annoying points to the camera but these are minor compared to the overall VFM it provides.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member

:welcome: to the CC forums.

I use a GoPro Hero3+ on my helmet, and find it's
  1. reliable;
  2. delivers good-quality videos; and
  3. has reasonable low-light performance.
It's not one of the cheaper cameras, though, and it also looks a bit chunky sitting on top of the helmet (although, as someone already mentioned, having an obvious camera can actually be an advantage). The weight takes a bit of getting used to also.

I also have a GoPro Hero3 attached to my saddle rail and pointing backwards, because I thought it would be useful to have the other point of view (particularly if a particularly aggressive motorist is deliberately tailgating, or trying to overtake when it's clearly not safe to do so).

Hope that helps a bit.

Regards,

--- Victor.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@Banksie apologies if my earlier post seemed in some way unfriendly, it wasn't my intention. Welcome to CycleChat.

I do though wonder about the value of cameras. I fully understand in the event of an accident video evidence could be vital. Myself I've had three crashes in my life, one on ice, one caused by a poor road surface and one when a driver pulled out in front of me. I don't feel any need for a camera.

I know some cyclists like to analyse their ride, how could I do better in that situation etc. I get that.

You're hoping to stop driver abuse. I'd suggest a highly visible camera, once an abusive event has begun, is more likely to further enrage the type of person who abuses others in this way rather than deter him/her. I have a riding buddy who wears one on his helmet; personally I think he looks daft, others, I don't, privately take the mick and finally I have noted he can be quite aggressive towards drivers - I don't suggest that you would be.

I've three pieces of advice on this subject:

Ignore abusive drivers just as one would the playground bully, the local bore in the pub etc.

Adopt a defensive but positive riding style which assets your right to be on the road. Before anyone jumps on this I am in no way suggesting cyclists in some way contribute to poor driving etc.

Consider something like the Garmin bikeradar which while it's highly unlikely I'd buy one seems like a great idea.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/518151#overview

Last edited:
Top Bottom