Cameras....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BeardyAndyM

Anyone got views on rugged cameras, not the gopro action type but digital cameras that'll take a rain shower and a 6ft drop?
Want something i can stick in my jersey pocket without sweating when a rain cloud appears!

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
a 6ft drop

What sort of rain do you get? :eek:

Jody

Stubborn git
Anyone got views on rugged cameras, not the gopro action type but digital cameras that'll take a rain shower and a 6ft drop?
Want something i can stick in my jersey pocket without sweating when a rain cloud appears!

My Note 8 has a great camera and its water proof but it wouldn't take a 6ft drop. I can confirm it will definitely smash at 2ft onto concrete.

Smudge

Veteran
That was the conclusion i was coming to as well but was hoping someone knew a hidden gem for less than £380!

If i were wanting a tough, waterproof camera, its what i would go for. Especially as it has a bright f2 lens, which makes a lot of difference in a compact camera with a small sensor.

Some of the rugged cameras have rugged styling which is hard on pocket carry. Fuji and Panasonic ones tend to have slimmer and slicker styling.
Photo quality tends to be all good enough, depends what you want to do
Wide aperture lenses are always good but bulkier. When it comed to zoom I always prefer a wider wide rather than a more powerful magnification. With plenty of pixels you crop a small sectipn for "digital zoom" but you cant get digital wider angle.

Salar

A fish out of water
Check out the Ricoh WG-50. Cheaper than the Olympus and does what you want.

Styling is Marmite though.

OP
OP
BeardyAndyM

BeardyAndyM

Check out the Ricoh WG-50. Cheaper than the Olympus and does what you want.

Styling is Marmite though.

Good shout, and a better optical zoom to boot!
See what you mean about the styling......
reduced-image_13479_106.jpg

pawl

Legendary Member
I have a6.0 Mega might be worth a look.Have had this camera for several years so not sure if they are still available.

3x optical zoom variously scene settings built in flash.It is light weight and fits easily in my jersey pocket Can’t comment on if it would survive a six foot fall on to concrete or into a river.

MikeG

Guru
Above everything, avoid cameras with those motorised lenses. I went through 4 documenting my build, in about 2 years. Dust, minor knocks, being turned on accidentally, and so on, can all deal a fatal blow to them. I've gone to a cheap fixed focal length camera and it is bomb-proof. There must be better ones around than mine (£50-worth), with a bigger lens and better sensor, but the over-riding lesson is to stick to no-moving-parts if you want something robust.

Top Bottom