Camino de santiago

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

george at highbike

Hi All I'm off on the 17th of May to ride 600K, mostly off road, on mountains across Spain all the way to Santiago on the coast. I've never cycled abroad before or taken my bike on a plane, it will be very hot and dry most of the route, so I'm not bothering with a tent but taking a Camping Hammock much lighter and water proof.
So if any of you guy's have advise or have done the route before! all advise taken gladly I'm not embarrassed to say I'm a wee bit nervous it's the longest route I very attempted on my own and it will be the hardest.

Have a read of Tim Moore's "Spanish Steps" before you go. Not because it's especially relevant to someone cycling the Camino - he walks it with a donkey carrying his stuff - but because it's very funny and a great read.
I'd like to do this one day as well, I'm currently trying to persuade my other half that she'd like to spend a month doing nothing but walking every day carrying all our gear in rucksacks. It's an uphill struggle ...

jags

Guru
done it from bilbao in 2006 with a road group fantastic tour, dident go off road at all. make sure you bring wet gear and some warm cloths. a hammock is a mistake i think ,bring your tent just to be on the safe side,also make sure you have loads of water and food some of those climb's are hard .i think you will enjoy every pedal stroke best of luck or as they say on the route baun camino.or something like that.

Chris James

Über Member
It rains rather a lot in Galicia! I walked the later section (100 or so miles) about five years go. That was in May.

Whilst in Spain we had snow, sub zero conditions, 30 degree plus heat, brilliant sunshine and (in Santiago) persistent soft rain.

Can't advise on the cycling route but we had a wonderful time. The route is pretty rural though so a smattering of Spanish would be an advantage (my now wife is fluent so that helped!)

ChrisBailey

A similar question was posed a few weeks ago.

https://www.cyclechat.net/

There are a ton of journals about this ride. Try crazyguyonabike, Trento bike pages or (obviously) google.

The route has hostels available for pilgrims, so I don't think you would need any camping equipment.

Go to Amazon and search on Camino de Santiago, there are 50 books. I bought the John Higginson cycling guide which was useful.

I rode it a few years ago, logged it on crazyguy, it's a great ride. I hope you go for it, good luck and Buen Camino.

bianchi1

Guru
I've done it both directions but more in the summer, june or July. Even then it rained in the west. Loads of camping sites and rough camping is not to much of a problem. It's a great ride but due to the fact that to 'complete' the pilgramage you only have to officialy travel the last 100 k or so the last part of the ride is a bit crowded. The camp site joust outside Santiago is a shocker!! If you pick up a pilgrim passport at the start you can always stay at the hostels but they can get full by as early as 11 in the morning and priority is given to walkers.

Pack your bike well. There is a bike tool area at Santiago airport so they are used to bikes. Even so I got lazy the last time I flew and never removed the rear derailier. Cue a snapped hanger. Not a problem as it was at the end of thd trip.

Be aware that some major a roads do not allow bikes. More and more it appears. Getting out of some cities can take a fair amount of planning and nav.

Enjoy tho. It is an amazing trip . You will see some amazing things

jay clock

Massive member
it will be very hot and dry
mmm a bit like the French and Americans picture London being foggy, UK people see Spain as hot and dry. That coast of Spain is called the Costa Verde for a reason!.

But then if you are from Inverness then 18 degrees and a bit of rain will be hot and dry.

Seriously it will be stunning. Weather should be ok, but do plan for rain at some point

World weather guide says

"This is the part of the country most influenced by depressions travelling in from the Atlantic, particularly in autumn and winter. It is the rainiest and cloudiest part of Spain. Although summers are cooler, cloudier, and wetter than elsewhere in the country there is still a considerable amount of warm, sunny weather. Rainfall Decreases from west to east in the Pyrenees but is quite high on the seaward slopes of the Cantabrians and in the extreme northwest (Galicia). Daily hours of sunshine average from three in winter to seven or eight in summer. See the tables for A Coruna http://tinyurl.com/ylnqj3u (in Galicia) and Santander http://tinyurl.com/yhmo8ns "

Average daytime max in May in Santander is 17, and in A Coruna is 18. If in the mountains it may be well below that (or snowing).

Be prepared! But you will have a lovely time. I cycled to Santiago from Portugal and loved it. See here http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/santiago

OP
OP
george at highbike

george at highbike

Thanks for all the advise I am looking forward to the trip was hoping for glorious sunshine everyday make a change from the Scottish Highlands as for the language that isn't a problem for me due to illness a few years ago I'm deaf so that explains why traveling alone abroad has a added thrill for me (worries the hell out of the wife! ), attempting to lip read in Spanish should be fun. waterproofs and a tent will be carried, but eh! i can still hope for sun. will post more as the time gets closer well p--sed off with east jet they have then the flight money twice from my bank account, they have a "issue" with there website so beware! will get money back but in 5 working days

Top Bottom