Camp sites - what to expect?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We have had camping trips spoiled by noisy drunken adults and their music into the night. Try and find sites that describe themselves as quiet and specifically insist on no noise at night.Its sometimes possible on larger sites to find a corner away from people.
Places to avoid pitching your tent are near the paths and roadways where people will be moving around the site and returning to tents after a night out.

We went to a Caravan Club Campsite for this reason to find a Caravan Club Disco going onto the early hours held by the staff!

At one site I visited, although the price was reasonable, the facilities (and the other campers) were so posh I really felt I should have washed and shaved before going to the washroom in the morning. I also let myself down by not having a dressing gown and slippers to wear en route to the wash-room.:sad:

We were at Saxmundham when cycling the Hull - Harwich, and asked the couple in the large tent next door whatthe showers were like..... they replied that they didn't know they had only been there a week!

On another site we found by accident we were the first ever customers. We were offered towels and they asked how much we though they should charge. After discussing various other sites and how their facilities compared we came to a mutually agreed rate. Went back the following year and there were no more towels, and the rate had tripled.

rollinstok

If theres a load of sheep in any field adjoining the campsite--move on. You wont get a decent kip, at least I never have !! All may finally seem quiet and your just beginning to nod off when one sheep starts baa-ing and suddenly all the rest join in and carry on with their bleatings for another half hour-bit like me really.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Never been camping before. What facilities can one expect or should one look for in UK campsites?

I'm particularly thinking of shower/wash facilities, secure bike parking and perhaps an eaterie.

Is this normally available or does one have to check with individual sites?

Have you got anywhere in mind?
Have you bought any kit yet?

You should expect to have a shower/toilet block or facility but the quality of these is very variable. There is a loose correlation between price and quality but don'y rely u[on the price being a predictor of quality of facilities.

Some sites have shops but it would be foolish to arrive at a camp site expecting to be able to purchase a meal or snack. There's usually a pub and/or restauraunt/cafe nearby.

Secure bike parking - I've never seen something that I'd regard as secure in the UK. There might be bike racks/stands that offer fixed objects to lock your bike to but they are open access fcilities. I've made do with trees and fences as anchor points.

Jump in and sample cycle camping. It can be an inexpensive way to have a relaxing time out in the open.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
The Camping and Caravan club sites nearly always have pretty good shower blocks and tend to not allow noise late at night, though they usually have a fairly long rule list. (I do like campsites that provide soap in the loos).

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

good point... CC's got members all over the place... tell us where you're going and we'll stalk you... inform you of any good camp sites we know.

OP
OP
Moodyman

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Have you bought any kit yet?
quote]

No kit yet, but the question was prompted by me signing up for Dell's Friday's tour from Hyde Park to John O Groats.

I'm currently caught between the B&B option and camping. I'm leaning towards camping due to the cost and perhaps, with young kinds, being able to re-use the tent for family camping weekends.

But I like my creature comforts, and didn't want to buy all the kit and find that most campsites didn't offer these.

When we went to the Netherlands last summer, we stayed in a forest chalet. There were tent campers on site and they had access to cold water taps and shower facilities via the swimming pool in the complex. It looked pretty decent.

OP
OP
Moodyman

Moodyman

Legendary Member
good point... CC's got members all over the place... tell us where you're going and we'll stalk you... inform you of any good camp sites we know.

In this instance, I'm doing the Friday's tour organised by Dellzeqq. Dell's doing all the organising, which is a mammoth task and I'm in awe of, but I was thinking about afterwards.

I'm trying to decide if it's worth buying all the gear if I never use it after the tour. When speaking to the kids a while back, they weren't massively enthusiastic of sleeping on the ground in a field, without a 'normal' toilet and the possibility of it raining all night

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Your kids will not care about facilities as long as they've got somewhere to run around and explore.

You and your wife are the one's most likely to have problems with the apparent lack of facilities.

Try working on the lowering of your expectations then you'll not have many disappointments. :thumbsup:

I just thought about it, and realised that most of my (meagre number of) nights under canvas in the last year or so have been in someone's garden! Relatives, people from forums, friends. Excellent facilities, and bargain pricing :smile:

Brains

Legendary Member
Camp Sites vary from one extreme to the other.

At one end of the scale, often found in places like Snowdonia and other mountainous areas is run by a local farmer in a sort of flattish field, where the sheep may or may not have been moved out, a water source connected to the local spring and some sort of loo within a 5 minute walk, if you are really lucky there may even be a shower of some sort.

At the other end of the scale, often found in coastal places with high income turnover is the golf course level field, where every tent has their own hedged off area and you get your own personal toilet and shower, mains water and electricity to your tent and of course wi-fi, the site will have a 3 star restaurant or two, bar, storm shelter etc.
(Yes they really exist, we stayed here)
http://www.koorn-aar.nl/accommodatie.php?type=6

nf4RYSewjwTwGAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

Bottom line is you get what you pay for, but even the most basic site can be £20 a night over a bank holiday

Hi

I would seriously recommend joining the backpackers club for a list of the farm directory. Basic sites with few people there, it gets you away from the noise and trouble of big sites and it is much easier to ask a farmer if the area is safe or if he can lock you bikes into the barn or a secured room overnight. http://www.backpackersclub.co.uk/ . They list what local facilites are available including places to avoid having to cook your own grub. Otherwise the tiny campsites book is OK - we found them too far apart to be of much use on tour though. Otherwise if you don't mind lack of facilites (but seriously want the quiet) we often ask farmers and even if they haven't got anywhere they can usually tell you where you can pitch overnight for 1 night. There is nothing worse in my opinion than paying not to sleep!

Emma

Top Bottom