Camp sites - what to expect?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Never been camping before. What facilities can one expect or should one look for in UK campsites?

I'm particularly thinking of shower/wash facilities, secure bike parking and perhaps an eaterie.

Is this normally available or does one have to check with individual sites?

Milo

Guru
Depends, if you want a fancy one expect to pay too much money some campsites charge through the nose. Most campsites that I have visited have not tended to have anywhere to park the bike specifically but there is normally something you should be able to lock one too. I would not say what you describe to be a normal campsite most will not have a cafe some may have a small shop. The majority will have shower wash facilities although not always in more remote areas. To sum up there can be huge differences.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
they vary infinitely... heading toward the blue tent or caravan on a map could be a basic field or a large site fullt of static caravans.

there's a great little book called Tiny Campsites by Dixe Wills, all under an acre. A book like that is a great place to start. Plus there's lots of camp site review websites, just google 'camp site reviews' and you'll find 'em.

Brommyboy

Über Member
When camping, I look for a clean level patch, a shower/toilet and a special rate for backpackers/cyclists. I object to paying the same as car/caravan/awning and ten kids!!! Any holiday site is likely to be expensive, noisy and unsuitable.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Decide what you are looking for from a camp site. We use the UKcampsite too and have written a couple of reviews of sites. We are also members of the camping and caravan club, which has a directory of sites. For us we hate the sites that have disco's and club houses (though they are more likely to be the ones that serve food), other than that we don't mind and have visited a variety of sites where sometimes the only facilities are a loo and a bucket of cold water to wash in.

We tend to cook our own food but if we are staying a number of days it is nice if it has a little shop, if not there is often a shop or pub near by for food. I tend to like sites that don't get bad reviews for their shower/toilet facilities^_^.

C

chillyuk

We belong to the Camping and Caravanning Club, but if not using a club site we only use adult only sites. I don't want my holiday ruined by other people's unruly little brats.

I would also recommend the UKCampsites site as well.

rollinstok

Hi, newbie here. If you are planning on touring the Lake District I could point you to a few great sites..also warn you of a couple that are just rip-off.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
We have had camping trips spoiled by noisy drunken adults and their music into the night. Try and find sites that describe themselves as quiet and specifically insist on no noise at night.Its sometimes possible on larger sites to find a corner away from people.
Places to avoid pitching your tent are near the paths and roadways where people will be moving around the site and returning to tents after a night out.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
I've had no real issues in UK campsites.When i did my Cornwall trip i just headed to the nearest camp when i was coming towards the end of the day and luckily i found some gems.The best one was just outside Bude which had facilities better than a hotel room in the shower/toilets area and i only paid £4 for the night ( backpackers rate).Some i've been to have been a little basic with the odd 8 legged critter watching from the ceiling but thats all.I avoid camps with clubs on them and there is normally a shop or chippy nearby some for feed.

snorri

Legendary Member
At one site I visited, although the price was reasonable, the facilities (and the other campers) were so posh I really felt I should have washed and shaved before going to the washroom in the morning. I also let myself down by not having a dressing gown and slippers to wear en route to the wash-room.:sad:

Top Bottom