Is WarmShowers what it seems to be?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dimrub

I saw a link to this article in a FB group, and there was quite a lively discussion of it there. But that was not the end of it: apparently, WS now threatens the author of that article with a libel lawsuit.

I haven't used WS so far, was thinking of doing this on my future trips, but now it doesn't seem like a good idea. Thought people on this forum might be interested in seeing this article.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I've only ever heard of them on this forum. If you do a forum search you'll find some discussions of them on here in the past, such as
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/warmshowers-no-longer-free.269353/

I saw a link to this article in a FB group, and there was quite a lively discussion of it there. But that was not the end of it: apparently, WS now threatens the author of that article with a libel lawsuit.

I haven't used WS so far, was thinking of doing this on my future trips, but now it doesn't seem like a good idea. Thought people on this forum might be interested in seeing this article.

OK, so I've looked into WS over the years, they seem above board, let's read this thing ...

hmmm, typical tale of a nice volunteer thing being monetized ... blah blah ... marketing-led ...
.. profit .... <getting bored now> ...
.. one employee paying herself £3million ... oh dear ...

" In addition to learning about Anglen’s part-time but all-powerful role in running WS, I also learned that she is a self-proclaimed witch."

WOAH! say what?!?

Reader, this is a very strange tale indeed!
Recommended 4/5stars

Debade

Über Member
20 years of hosting and being hosted on WS. We have been hosted in USA, Canada, Europe, and Mexico. And hosted people from all over the world. I have not read the original letter but our experience with WS has been positive as host and guest. We have tightened our personal hosting guest policy as there was a time we felt some guests were turning WS into a hotel type stay vs a friendship type stay. In this way, I do not object to a small fee to become a member as it creates a commitment to the concept. And for the work that staff does, they should be compensated.

If WS goes away, it would be disappointing unless the spirit of the organization as we know it goes away as well. Given our hosting and being a guess this year, it feels like nothing has changed.

Sallar55

Veteran
Never done Warmshowers , for me its like taking advantage of others. Might be ok if only the people who up others up can use them . Like working on a points system, but that requires money to enforce.

Sallar55

Veteran
Sometimes strangers up you up for the night. We were in Kinsale and everything was booked up for the sailing, a car stopped and asked if we were lost, no just looking for a place to stay . Refused some money for the night. Turned out that they were cyclists .

Retyred.life

Warmshowers is a social network for cycle tourists. Has been in existence for nearly fifty years. https://tinyurl.com/nbnwcyvb
Hosts offer as much or little as they wish to and guests receive the same.

I've used WS all over the world for the past fifteen years and in that time had only two negative experiences, neither of which were serious.

Of course it's changed over the years, mostly for the better. There have always been costs incurred by the administrators. Surely it's right the users should pay for this wonderful and well proven concept.

Personally I think hosts shouldn't have to pay, but since most hosts are also guests it would be difficult to differentiate.

That FB article is pure hogwash.

Top Bottom