Portugal and what to do with a bike bag?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Emanresu

For Xmas, I'll be given a 2024 calendar and will be encouraged to fill it with as many trips away as I can manage. My OH says this is because she needs to get on with the decorating but not sure as it never looks any different.

Anyway looking to go to Lisbon at the end of January and cycle up to Porto (great city, Porto) Haven't quite worked out how to get the bag from one place to another. Think the Portuguese Post Office (CTT) might think it's a bit too big for them. It can be rolled down to the size of a smallish carpet (1.2m high/0.4m diameter). Anyone used couriers in Portugal. Alternative would be a cardboard box out and then pickup another in Porto for the return journey.

How do you deal with your bike bags when away?

Punkawallah

Über Member
Didn’t get as far as bike bags, whole thing went Tango Uniform at the booking stage. Did some work on boxes, though, travelling by plane. There is a maximum l/w/h and weight depending on the carrier. My intended carrier would only allow the bike in the box, nothing else. Any tools would have to go in hold luggage. Disposal of the box at the other end was to flatten it and leave it in the rubbish. Of course this meant re- assembling the bike at the airport - but if you can’t take a joke, you shouldn’t join up :-) I didn’t have to worry about taking the box with me, as the Plan was to ride home, with a ferry across the Channel.
Good luck!

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
How do you deal with your bike bags when away?

Back in the days when I used to fly I would use one of these CTC bags and take it with me, sometimes using it as a makeshift footprint under the tent. I’m not sure if Wiggle still sell them but any heavy duty polythene bag of suitable size should work.

Whether it’s the right solution for you depends on your risk appetite...

IMG_4200.jpeg

OP
OP
E

Emanresu

Back in the days when I used to fly I would use one of these CTC bags and take it with me

I actually have one of these which was option #3 but as you say it's down to risk. The bike bag offers more protection which is why I wanted to investigate how to deal with it when away. The CTC you'd just fold and take it with you.

There's option #4 which is a very compact Decathlon bike bag which I can't find which is halfway between the larger Wriggle bag and the CTC. That can be posted.

For Xmas, I'll be given a 2024 calendar and will be encouraged to fill it with as many trips away as I can manage
Lucky you!

Think the Portuguese Post Office (CTT) might think it's a bit too big for them.
I can't speak for the Portuguese but the Spanish Post Offices are excellent for shipping from one place to another due to the large numbers of Pilgrims swarming all over the country. I'd be surprised if a similar service wasn't available in Portugal. Your best bet for information would be on a dedicated Camino forum. I'd suggest donning a protective suit before venturing in, though, as the places can be toxic, especially towards people on wheels. ^_^

robjh

Legendary Member
Back in the days when I used to fly I would use one of these CTC bags and take it with me, sometimes using it as a makeshift footprint under the tent. I’m not sure if Wiggle still sell them but any heavy duty polythene bag of suitable size should work.

Whether it’s the right solution for you depends on your risk appetite...

View attachment 717004
I'd check carefully with your airline before using the CTC·style clear plastic bag. I got refused check·in for a BA flight from Gatwick once with one of these. There was some online discussion and conflicting reports about them being accepted, but if you are faced with a point blank refusal by airport staff then there's not much you can do.

avsd

Guru
I used a bike shop to box my bike in Porto and arrange transport to airport. Bikeshop was Sportours, Porto and cost was £225 for 7 bikes which included transport to airport for bikes only via courier. We caught the bus to airport.

I'd check carefully with your airline before using the CTC·style clear plastic bag. I got refused check·in for a BA flight from Gatwick once with one of these. There was some online discussion and conflicting reports about them being accepted, but if you are faced with a point blank refusal by airport staff then there's not much you can do.

My understanding is that the source of such a problem can lie with the groundstaff - often subcontractors - and not directly the responsibility of the airline. This can be especially important with smaller airlines and/or airports, especially if not flying directly.
If packing directions for a bike are not explicitly laid out on the airline website it's generally advised to get email confirmation from the airline. This may not help on the day, but should help afterwards.

Sorry - I don't mean to be "that guy" explaining what you should have done. It must have been a frustrating experience.

robjh

Legendary Member
My understanding is that the source of such a problem can lie with the groundstaff - often subcontractors - and not directly the responsibility of the airline. This can be especially important with smaller airlines and/or airports, especially if not flying directly.
If packing directions for a bike are not explicitly laid out on the airline website it's generally advised to get email confirmation from the airline. This may not help on the day, but should help afterwards.

Sorry - I don't mean to be "that guy" explaining what you should have done. It must have been a frustrating experience.
Don't worry, you're just confirming the point I was making.
I have since travelled on other airlines with the CTC bag without problems, though the last time in 2012, but it still gave me a moment of worry each time I approached check-in.

OP
OP
E

Emanresu

but it still gave me a moment of worry each time I approached check-in.

Nothing worse than getting there and having to find an alternative quickly. Not one to argue the toss with baggage handlers either. Like to keep them onside.

Checked the Easyjet site and it states bags or boxes so going for option #5 which is this one. Will keep the CTC bag as it is accepted on some bus routes in Spain so it may come in handy. Now have a surplus heavier duty Wiggle bag with wheels which I doubt I will ever use. It rolls up but is large and heavy. The basic bag is only 3.5kg and I can forward it on Poste Restante to the destination which I have done before.

Thanks for all the help. Now onto working out where I will stay.

Gillstay

Über Member
It may not help you, but we used to get the bags on to the back of the bikes, ride to a hotel near the airport, ask them to look after it and collect a week or so later on the way home. We had good sturdy bags. Places like Slovenia as you had stopped a night were perfectly happy to do it for free and would not accept a tip or a beer. Very generous.

OP
OP
E

Emanresu

For the sake of completeness, just wanted to add the outcome of this. Dismantled the bike at home and put it into the soft Scicon bag which was accepted as suitable by Easyjet

https://sciconsports.com/uk_en/soft-bike-bag-travel-basic-black-scicon-tp007000509?

At Lisbon I provided almost an hour's street entertainment to the locals when reassembling it on the street in the middle of the city during the rush hour. As this was the first time on tour with this particular bike, I suddenly remembered I had never reassembled it before then. Somehow I had chosen to make this the first practice some 1000 miles from home without knowledge of where a LBS was if I got stuck. Luckily it all fitted together.

Folded the bike bag and put it into a strong plastic bag which took to the local post office (CTT) in Lisbon. Labelled it as Posta Restante for collection at the CTT in one of the main squares in Porto. Advised they will keep a Posta Restante parcel for 5 business days which was enough for my purposes. Total cost €11.70 to send.

Five days later, picked it up at Porto. Disassembled the bike and flew the bike back in time for the train strikes

Attachments

• BikeBag.jpg
    BikeBag.jpg
    378.6 KB · Views: 6
Top Bottom