Campag 9 Speed Chainsets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ASC1951

Guru
I'm having difficulty finding new kit to replace my worn Campag 9 speed drive train. I see that one online shop has a Record Triple at a very tempting £85, but it's 10 speed.

My understanding is that:-
- I must use a 9 speed cassette, but a 10 speed chainset is compatible
- a 10 speed cassette would fit on the hub, but then I would also need to change the chain and the Ergos.

Is this right? Any suggestions for a source of 9 speed bits?

As a supplementary, is it true that you can change Ergos from 9 to 10 speed just by changing the ratchet? TBH I don't fancy that, because it looks like the inside of a Swiss watch in there.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
I'm sticking with 9spd (flea bay mostly) as it's cheaper and presumably in a couple of years it will be all 11spd.

There's a couple of tasty springs in the Ergo which from experience I wouldn't want to be struggling with (assuming that you could get hold of a 10spd ratchet in the first place).

Have you got the UT system?

MartinC

Über Member
You'd probably have no problems using the 10 speed chainset.

Our friends in croydon are selling them cheap but be aware the BB's for these (Chorus or Record asymmetric 111mm are not easy to get and expensive).

stephec

Legendary Member
I've a chainset that's been used with Campag nine speed, and Shimano ten speed, and no probs with either. Or as an alternative couldn't you just get new chainrings?

If you want to convert your ergos have a word with Mercian in Derby, they know what they're talking about.

Will1985

Über Member
Mercian weren't too much help for me - claimed I wouldn't be able to convert a Veloce ergo. Took about 2 hours fiddling and I've now ridden that way for 18 months.

Plenty of 10 speed chainsets available. It's the bottom brackets which are harder to find I think (use Centaur BB for Centaur and below instead of AC-H).

Got a spare Centaur double going but sounds like you're after a triple.

OP
OP
A

ASC1951

Guru
stephec said:
Or as an alternative couldn't you just get new chainrings?
Maybe, but both the middle and the granny ring need replacing, which in the past has worked out more expensive.

Will1985 said:
Got a spare Centaur double going but sounds like you're after a triple.
I do a lot of long climbs in the Alps in the summer and now that I qualify for a free bus pass I find that 39 x 26 isn't quite enough. I suppose I could go for a Compact Double, but that would need a new BB so that's not a cheap solution either.

Top Bottom