Campag bits on Raleigh record sprint

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gareth01244

Veteran
Any one know what model campag came as standard on the front and rear mechs of a Raleigh record sprint from the early eighties?
Thanks

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Calling @raleighnut . That's the one with the gold anodised alloy parts. Raleigh were trying to ape the Ford Capri JPS which came in black and gold.

You might be able to identity it from here: http://www.disraeligears.co.uk/Site/Home.html

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I thought they had Shimano on them but it was probably whatever they could get cheap by then, it was only the 531 frames they put anything 'good' on but if I recall right there was a cosmetic one and a quality one.
What steel is your frame.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
FvHGahy8.jpg
It's The Campag 980.

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Italy/Campagnolo/Campy_980_rd.htm

Last edited:
OP
OP
gareth01244

gareth01244

Veteran
Thanks, yes that looks like the one, it took some cleaning up yesterday but looks to be in good condition, think it was well preserved under the thick layer of oil and dirt.

GuyBoden

Guru
I believe that the 1983 Raleigh Record Sprint had Campag 980 front and rear dérailleurs.

I have a mint 1986 Raleigh Record Sprint with the full gold trimmings, the 1986 model has a Shimano Golden Arrow dérailleur, I very rarely ride mine, only on sunny days, they're a very nice looking bike and they still turns a few heads. In the 1980's, they were the ultimate School Boy Racer. The 501 tubing has a seamed weld, you can see it/feel it inside the seat tube, they ride fine, but are not as light as 531 or 531c frames.

The Campag 980 rear dérailleur is shown below.
F2CE4FD9-B863-4ED2-AEA8-9EB0781D616D.jpe

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
They were more for the boy racers out to impress, rather like the JPS Capri it tried to emulate so I guess they built it down to a price, hence the 501.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I believe that the 1983 Raleigh Record Sprint had Campag 980 front and rear dérailleurs.

I have a mint 1986 Raleigh Record Sprint with the full gold trimmings, the 1986 model has a Shimano Golden Arrow dérailleur, I very rarely ride mine, only on sunny days, they're a very nice looking bike and they still turns a few heads. In the 1980's, they were the ultimate School Boy Racer. The 501 tubing has a seamed weld, you can see it/feel it inside the seat tube, they ride fine, but are not as light as the usually 531 or 531c frames.

The Campag 980 rear dérailleur is shown below.
F2CE4FD9-B863-4ED2-AEA8-9EB0781D616D.jpe

Aah it was the later ones that had 'Golden Arrow' on them, I thought/remembered they had Shimano.

Top Bottom