Campag Carbon Chain Ring Bolts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
Hi all,

I've lost a couple of chainring bolts because Planet Cyclismo didn't do them up to torque as I had repeatedly asked them when racing in France.

Replacements are £30-40. :dry:

The whole Athena Campag Carbon crankset can be replaced for £119.99

Both one normal bolt and the hidden bolt are missing, and the "normal" alloy one another bike shop offered doesn't fit ...have I got any options?

Cheers

Tp

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Other than keep searching for campag bolts... £30 each or a set

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Other than keep searching for campag bolts... £30 each or a set

Looking more like £40 for four bolts and the 'hidden' bolt. M8 thread apparently.

£19 off some ebayer, likely hooky shipped in from China.

They always do this with parts. It makes me think of buying the crankset as a better value transaction!

fossyant

Is there something 'special' about those carbon cranks? I got a set of chainring bolts from Spa Cycles for less than a fiver.

Nothing to do with the cranks - it's a specific fit that manufacturers do with some of the newer cranksets. The SRAM MTB bolts screw into the chain ring on my newer MTB - into alloy. My old skool stuff is easier to sort - bolt onto a 'nut'.

booze and cake

probably out cycling
I had similar happen on my carbon ultra torque Chorus a few years ago, that also had the hidden bolt, and I did a similar small cry upon hearing price of replacements.

I did find at the time KCMC did Campag chain ring bolts that were much cheaper, but as I said that was a few years ago, and not sure if these will fit your crank?
these were them
https://clee-cycles.co.uk/P1018/product

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Nothing to do with the cranks - it's a specific fit that manufacturers do with some of the newer cranksets. The SRAM MTB bolts screw into the chain ring on my newer MTB - into alloy. My old skool stuff is easier to sort - bolt onto a 'nut'.
My CAAD 5 had an old skool Campag 53/39 chainset on but I decided that didn't suit me on my mega-hilly local rides so I converted it to an old skool Stronglight triple chainset. That was a great decision - a really handy spread of gears PLUS affordable spares!

fossyant

I couldn't believe the design TBH. On an MTB - Screw a Steel bolt into an alloy chain ring on an MTB. It works if you are mechanically sympathetic and careful, but I question the logic having never needed it on 2x and 3 x chain sets before ?

fossyant

My CAAD 5 had an old skool Campag 53/39 chainset on but I decided that didn't suit me on my mega-hilly local rides so I converted it to an old skool Stronglight triple chainset. That was a great decision - a really handy spread of gears PLUS affordable spares!

My other 4 bikes use easily available bolts/nuts, but the newer Boardman needed specific bolts.. I know, fix something that isn't broke.

Top Bottom