Campag Chain Advice Please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mikey951r

Veteran
I feel a bit of a numpty asking this because I feel I should know the answer but don't.

I have just changed the chain on My Bianchi Via Nirone. The bike is 3 years and has done just over 5,000 miles. I know I probably should have done it sooner but never mind. The bike has a Campag Xenon groupset with a triple on the front and a nine speed rear cog. The only thing the old chain says on it is 'narrow'. I bought a campag chain off the internet because it said fits all campag nine speed groupsets. The new chain looks identical to the old one in size etc but has 'C9' embossed on it. The problem is it slips when under pressure going up hill. I put the old one back on and no problem. Put the new one on again still slips. The lengths etc are identical. I looked on the internet again and there appears to be loads of different types of Campag chain (narrow, extra narrow etc). Does anyone know what I need to buy or have I bought the right one. I suppose it could be possible the cogs have worn a bit having done so many miles and me being too tight to change it before 5,000 miles:blush:. I do love the bike though so cannot get rid of it. Any advice is most welcome:smile:.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
You need a new cassette. The old chain works because that and the sprockets have worn together, but the new chain is unforgiving on the knackered sprockets. 5000 miles is pushing it for a chain.

gbb

Legendary Member
Realistically mikey, you've worn your cassette and the new chain wont mesh properly.
Someone feel free to correct me, but 9 speed chain is 9 speed....any should do, so i dont think thats your problem.

OP
OP
mikey951r

mikey951r

Veteran
Thanks both, I thought that was one of the possibilities but was bemused by the different types of chain around.....still 5,000 miles for a small outlay is nothing compared to what the daily commute would have cost me in the car...!! Do you think I would be able to fit a 10 speed cassette in the place of the 9 speed one?

OP
OP
mikey951r

mikey951r

Veteran
I think I will stick with the 9 speed one then. Do I need to stick to Campag Xenon or can I use another like campag veloce? I just looked on e-bay and there aren't any Xenon cassettes?

longers

Legendary Member
I was going to say about the cassette needing replacing but this has been done.

Instead - how's Portugal? Sounds nice and warm :biggrin:

OP
OP
mikey951r

mikey951r

Veteran
Longers,

Portugal is great. The weather makes it worth while and that's how you clock the miles up. It's never a chore to ride out and there are plenty of groups going out of Lisbon every weekend to tag along with.

OP
OP
mikey951r

mikey951r

Veteran
You might be able to tell I am a little lost without my mate who used to do all my maintenance etc for me as he has recently gone back to the UK. He used to answer all my daft questions for me, order the parts and fit them....!! He loved doing jobs as much as I loved making the coffees while he did it...!!

longers

Legendary Member
Cheers mikey, sounds very good :biggrin:

You'd be fine with any of the 9 spd cassettes from Campag. Price might dictate which one you choose though.

If you're doing a fair few miles then you could join the CC "team" on Cyclogs.

You can join even if you're not :smile:.

longers

Legendary Member
mikey951r said:
He used to answer all my daft questions for me, order the parts and fit them....!!

Keep asking them on here, I learn loads through other peoples supposedly daft questions :biggrin:

P.H

Über Member
As you've already worn the cassette, you may as well stick the old chain back on and do another few thousand miles.

Top Bottom