Campag Freehub now quiet???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Nigel182

Nigel182

Guru
Well thanks everyone I knew this site was a mine of information and help.

On closer looking not only is the pawl spring 'kaput but brake area is worn.

So solution a NOS Vento Wheelset is winging it's way to me.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
PS you'll need ear plugs on order when you fix it.

I love the silence of my Dura Ace hubs .
The freehubs on my 2 road bikes and my mountain bike are all noisy and I often freewheel to use the clicking sound as a warning when approaching pedestrians. The freehub on my CX bike, however, is eerily quiet. I like that, but it is disconcerting, especially when I am approaching people on the canal towpath and they do not hear me. In that situation, I have started clicking my tongue to make up for the missing sound!

The freehubs on my 2 road bikes and my mountain bike are all noisy and I often freewheel to use the clicking sound as a warning when approaching pedestrians. The freehub on my CX bike, however, is eerily quiet. I like that, but it is disconcerting, especially when I am approaching people on the canal towpath and they do not hear me. In that situation, I have started clicking my tongue to make up for the missing sound!
You are aware how odd this sounds aren't you?

albal

Guru
So the whiring noise from my khamsin 's ? I was thinking : bearings, but maybe it is the pawls, more specifically the ring that goes round them? Which requires replacement . No idea of mileage but defo less than 2000 mile. Which if is correct Is a relief as I've heard taking out the bearings is a pain.

If its the freewheel noise that is loud, it's not that uncommon on Campag hubs.

You can make it quieter on more recent hubs (2015 and later) by adding some grease into the freewheel assembly. Easlier hubs, you can do the same thing but it's advisable to change the pawls and spring first (kit FH-BO014 if it's an alloy Campag or Shimano spline body, FH-BO014X1 if it's a steel Shimano-spline body) because earlier hubs had a weaker spring that used to allow the pawls to get gummed up with grease - its why the earlier hubs were lubricated with oil in this area, not grease.

Recent wheels get louder as the grease in that area of the hub slowly degrades and so a periodic clean-out and re-grease is not a bad idea if the noise bothers you. It's not doing anything any harm ...

That assumes that I've understood the issue correctly ...

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
I put a little grease in mine to quieten them down. Always have since my first 5 speed freewheel (Campagnolo record 1960's) they had two very long cats whisker springs.
Never had any problems and very stealthy.

Top Bottom