Campag Khamsin

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Had these wheels for my winter\commuting bike for about a year now - been pretty impressed for just over £100.
Anyway the other day I decided to give my winter bike a real good degrease and clean -

Next time I came to ride it - I noticed I got a clicking noise from the freehub, when freewheeling, it doesn't seem like an unhealthy noise - its quieter than my mavics - and in facts its very handy to have a noise as I cycle through a park - so it alerts pedestrians...

What I can't quite fathom is why I am hearing the noise after giving the bike a good clean ?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I can't figure it out either; all of my Campagnolo freehubs have been noisy, all of the time!

That freewheel clicking is the sound of Campagnolo. I have heard say that because the materials are of such good quality, they don't need as much grease as inferior brands (i.e. all the rest) but that may just be hyperbole.

Adam4868

Guru
When I took my mavic wheels for a bike mechanic to look at the 'death noise' they came out silent.Clickety click before so I'm guessing it's lubrication as said on here.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
When I took my mavic wheels for a bike mechanic to look at the 'death noise' they came out silent.Clickety click before so I'm guessing it's lubrication as said on here.
It is easy to make your freehub quiet by stuffing it full of thick grease.

10 minutes down the road the gunged-up pawls fail to engage and you are left freewheeling despite your legs spinning round at 120 rpm ... :whistle:

Adam4868

Guru
It is easy to make your freehub quiet by stuffing it full of thick grease.

10 minutes down the road the gunged-up pawls fail to engage and you are left freewheeling despite your legs spinning round at 120 rpm ... :whistle:
Yikes ! He's a good mechanic.Dare I say probally best around here,north west.

Well Campag freehub on my campag khamsin freehub is noisy when cleaned and repacked with grease or clean with a light grease I have wondered if thats normal for this particular wheelset or are all of campags freehubs as loud as each other? I am used to it now but it always surprises me after the quietness of the shimano freehub on winter bike. or am I just using the wrong grease though it was just as loud when brand new.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Well Campag freehub on my campag khamsin freehub is noisy when cleaned and repacked with grease or clean with a light grease I have wondered if thats normal for this particular wheelset or are all of campags freehubs as loud as each other? I am used to it now but it always surprises me after the quietness of the shimano freehub on winter bike. or am I just using the wrong grease though it was just as loud when brand new.
Campag freehubs are designed to make a noise - it should be a nice noise though - like a smooth clicking.

Top Bottom