Campag Khamsin

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heigue'r

Veteran
I have the khamsin on the winter bike and they make a healthy click,however,I also have a set of higher level campagnolo wheels with only a few hundred miles on them..you could hear a pin drop when they are freewheeling,there is not a bit of noise from them,not sure whether I'm happy or sad about that😂..just reading the comments that they are designed to be noisy,I feel a bit let down😂😂

I don't think my Khamsin are high end? Though miles better than the Shimano 501's wheelset I have on the other bike Arr good old Upminster Many years have passed since I was in that region at Romford

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
I don't think my Khamsin are high end? Though miles better than the Shimano 501's wheelset I have on the other bike Arr good old Upminster Many years have passed since I was in that region at Romford
budget wheels - but good ones IME.

Heigue'r

Veteran
Khamsin are entry level wheels but so far so good,I used to run zonda's on the winter bike,great wheel,they do feel 'light' on the bike in comparrison to the khamsin,however I went through 2 sets with approx 4000 miles on each set,This was the C17 Zonda's,I think they must have changed the compound on the rim or something from previous versions.

I have the khamsin on the winter bike and they make a healthy click,however,I also have a set of higher level campagnolo wheels with only a few hundred miles on them..you could hear a pin drop when they are freewheeling,there is not a bit of noise from them,not sure whether I'm happy or sad about that😂..just reading the comments that they are designed to be noisy,I feel a bit let down😂😂
I have just completed my first 400km on my latest Bianchi, and it has Campagnolo Shamal Ultra wheels - and no click! However, it is just starting to develop. I went out yesterday with Mrs A, and she has Shamals that make plenty of noise, so I think it is just a case of waiting for the proper Campagnolo noise to develop.

Azzurrinick

I'm on my 4th set of Campy wheels, 3 x Zonda & 1 x Eurus, they are all quiet to start with and the clicking noise will come in normally around 500 miles. Just replaced a set of Zondas and it is weird riding without any rear hub noise! FYI the 2 previous sets of Zondas lasted circa 4000 miles, the current Eurus are over 6000 miles so far.

I'm on my 4th set of Campy wheels, 3 x Zonda & 1 x Eurus, they are all quiet to start with and the clicking noise will come in normally around 500 miles. Just replaced a set of Zondas and it is weird riding without any rear hub noise! FYI the 2 previous sets of Zondas lasted circa 4000 miles, the current Eurus are over 6000 miles so far.
Why do you get so few miles per set of wheels?

It just depends on how much grease there is in the cassette mechanism and that varies a little from wheel to wheel.
Where there is not so much grease (or the grease has begun to break down), you tend to get a louder "click".
Wheels where there is a lot of grease, the grease damps the mechanical noise of the pawls.

Until 2015, the pawl mechanism ran on oil only - Campagnolo recommended that only a very small amount of grease was used in the assembly of wheels with 3 independent pawl springs (which started to phase out of Campagnolo wheel assemblies in 1999 anyway), because grease could "stick" the pawls against the cassette body, slowing engagement down. These wheels have a characteristic, loud, freewheel action.

In 2015 the spring that drives the pawls was increased in gauge and strength and so the factory started to use grease in the drive ring well of the rear hub, as the new spring was more capable of overcoming grease stiction. Typically but not universally, when new, these wheels have a quieter freewheel action.

Grease breakdown can be mechanical (just a result of the repeated shear forces that the material is subject to) or can be caused by ingress of degreasers, detergents and / or other solvents from aggressive cleaning. Generally this area of the bike should be serviced in any case, every 5000km or so - and aggressive cleaning should be avoided.

Top Bottom