Campag Potenza chain noise problem.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

garyfarrar

I have recently changed my groupset from Veloce to Potenza and am having a problem with chain noise when it is the small chainring and largest rear sprocket (34/32). Both mechs are shifting fine and there is no noise in any other chainring/sprocket combination. Also the chain doesn't look to be rubbing on the front mech cage anywhere. Any ideas welcome.

Post a photo of the sprocket area in that combo.

OP
OP
G

garyfarrar

Post a photo of the sprocket area in that combo.
20170819_175618.jpg

Don't try and adjust the screw in the "B" position as advised above - it's only very rarely necessary on this and related versions of the Campag rear derailleur - it's there in the case of the 2015 RDs as a way of correcting for rear hangers where the "hook" on the hanger has been placed further from the optimum position than used to be commonplace. The screw is alloy and easily damaged.

Instead, use the "H" screw on the lower pivot as recommended in the instruction book that came with the derailleur - or if no instructions came with the RD because it was OE supplied to the aftermarket (common occurrence) download it from www.campagnolo.com under "Support" and "Documentation".

OP
OP
G

garyfarrar

Thanks for all the advice. I've made some adjustments and now have the 5-7 mm gap between the sprocket and jockey wheel. The noise is still there though and seems to be from the chairing. The chain line looks like it's dropping into the inner ring at too great an angle.

Top Bottom