Campag shifters, Shimano running gear... Who knew?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Scruffmonster said:
2 comments hardly represents a slanging match now does it? Considering your comment contributed nowt to my technical issue I could add your comment to the 'slanging match' and this comment, and any reply... And so on...

I was looking for shifting help, if you think 2 off topic comments stop you from doing that, fair play, don't comment.

You'd already had a lot of useful advice in other posts this morning, I had nothing to add to those, especially when you respond with comments like:

Ach, some of this seems like more hassle than it's worth....

and
I've no idea on the difference between Campag and Shimano anythings

Well - quite simply you would have had some idea if you had bothered to read the article that was linked to by RecordAcefromNew. Maybe I misunderstood the tone of your responses, but it read to me like you were not interested in learning anything from other forum members.

I guess GreenMamba read it similarly... and suggested as result that you just get out & ride it. Then you just take a pop at him.

IMO a member with just a few dozen posts might do better to wind his neck in and be prepared to learn....especially in Know How.

OP
OP
Scruffmonster

Scruffmonster

Über Member
You have indeed mistaken me... Wildly. It's written, not spoken word, it happens.

I know GreenMamba, we speak daily, You weren't to know that obviously. Fair play.

I've read copious amounts, attempted to apply a little where I can, with little gain.

'Put up or shut up' = be happy with the shops very partial fix OR Take it back, say I expect better, Stating that Internet links suggest I could get better results.

'More hassle than it's worth' = £60 bike, £30 service, it runs well enough considering Cycle To Work might be available inside 8 weeks and I have my eye on a Giant Defy 3 that came out smelling great in my own road tests.

PpPete

Legendary Member
In that case I apologise....

£60 bike, mismatched componentry, just the sort of challenge I like! But I can certainly understand the LBS response.

Have you got any specifics as to models of the various parts, or number of speeds on shifters and cassettes/freewheels? Wth all the info, and the combined knowledge of all in this forum we may be able to help you get better shifting until the Defy comes along. I rode behind one of those the other day - loverly looking bike, very quick too. Actually there was loverly looking arse on it too, but that's not for this forum!

OP
OP
Scruffmonster

Scruffmonster

Über Member
No worries man, it's the Internet, no harm no foul.

No idea exactly what I have. Will take some pics and post them here this week if that would be a good starting point.

If you then have time to look and suggest, great.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Pictures would be good - it's easier to suggest possible fixes when we know what we're dealing with.
Personally, I've got so cheesed off with the whole 'X will only work with Y' thing that my touring bike is going back to downtube levers, unless I have another idea in the meantime.
EDIT
Hang on, I've just noticed we're talking 7 speed. Can we have a picture of your levers and the rear mech? I (and I suspect everyone else) have been assuming you've got Ergoshifters (the combined brake +gear levers) but it occurs to me that we might be on downtube levers here...

OP
OP
Scruffmonster

Scruffmonster

Über Member
Right... never posted a picture but here we go...

I've used Imageshack as I have no idea what size the iPhone files will be in total.

Im hoping that these thumbnails will link to larger ones.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Will test this and see if it works then add others

Joyous Rapture! Success!

1exms4.jpg

24nk6lt.jpg

34r7skh.jpg

343j1w1.jpg

I think that covers everything... Answers on a postcard.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Christ on a bike!!!! That's gonna be fun!!!!!
Right, looks like you've got Xenon shifters there - 10 speed, I think?
I don't know any way of getting those to work with a Shimano 7 speed rear mech. Not even a Shiftmate will do this, according to the website.
Personally, I'd be tempted to keep it as is till you get a new bike (you're doing that soon, yes?) and then make a singlespeed hack from it, thus avoiding the whole messy problem.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Becasue of the vertical drop out - if you go single speed with it you'll likely need a chain tensioner as well as the hub conversion kit but you can sell those Ergo shifters which should cover most of the cost.

Or keep the shifters and figure out what cassette / mech will work with them if you want gears. As the Doc says - first thing we need to check is how many clicks on the shifters.

If they are 10 speed - and the hub is for a 7 speed then about the only thing you can do is get a 9 speed cassette, lose one of the sprockets, so it's an 8 speed that will fit on the 7 speed hub but with 'spacing' for a 9 speed - which can be made compatible with a 10 speed campag shifter using the "hubbub" cable routing.

With me so far? :wacko:

Cheap 9 speed cassette £15
New lock ring (if you lose the 11T and have 12T as your top) £5
cheap shimano mech £20

If you want to try this we can go into more detail with appropriate links.....

I'm intrigued.
Where did you get this bike from ? Who built it up like this ?

The frame has no manufacturer's name decals on it, but is in very good paint condition, so looks like somebody's had it resprayed ?
It's fitted with 7sp Shimano cassette (or is it freewheel...) so must be narrower-spaced (126mm ?) at the back ?
Old-style cheap-spec Shimano SIS rear mech ?
Yet someone's gone to the trouble of fitting 10sp Campag shifters onto it, expecting it to work ?

Kinda looks like someone's bought a load of bits or an unfinished project on eBay or at a carboot sale and then assembled them into a bike.
Someone who has enough of an understanding to do a decent job of bolting it all together, fitting cables and bartape and all that, but not the understanding of what-works-with-what.

Actually, now even more confused.

I see from Scruffmonster's other thread that it's a Raleigh Airlite 100 (although why it has no Raleigh decals and paintjob...?)

A google of that brings-up
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/images/B000W45G80/ref=dp_image_z_0?ie=UTF8&n=318949011&s=sports
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Raleigh-Airlite-100-Racing-Bike-/150423166589
and similar other results
- these seem to show it with Campag shifters and Shimano rear mech

The 2010 model seems to have Shimano 2300 shifters, which is fine it's the 7-speed Sora-like system.
And the 2009 and 2008 models seem to have downtube shifters, which would also be fine (either unindexed, or indexed Shimano)

But did Raleigh supply it running Shimanolo like this - what's going on ?

OP
OP
Scruffmonster

Scruffmonster

Über Member
Right, first up, thanks for everyones help so far, I've pasted most of it into a word doc and hopefully I'll have the time and patience to make it a singlespeed, or working-geared hack when I eventually get the new bike.

To my mind, going purely on what I read before going to collect, this model was a bit of a b4stard from the factory. The earlier year bike had downtube shifters, this model then didnt, and the year later bike switched to downtube shifters again apparently, maybe because of this very issue, who knows.

All I know is; It's quick, it handles nice, rolls well, it's comfortable (though a 2-3cm smaller stem for the handlebars would be nice as it's slightly too long - depth not height. My terminology sucks) and it didnt dent my bank balance. £60 got me the bike, £40 worth of Abus lock, a bike tool and a useless pump. It had been left in the rain for most of the winter. I stripped off the stickers myself as they were in a horrid state.

At least we've come to a conclusion. It's a big job that is beyond me, involving cash, and that it is worth maybe £150 going on that sale price on eBay. If it's still worth £100 in a month or two's time I may well sell it to fund the purchase of some goodies.

Cheers folks.

Lee

OP
OP
Scruffmonster

Scruffmonster

Über Member
That reads like it was a stolen bike(?)

For the record, I dont think it was, I originally haggled with the guy who had it listed for £100, he wouldnt budge, but then gave me a call a week later offering it for £60 if I collected that weekend as he was flying back to Ireland. I got there and he had a suitcase packed full, the tires were flat, it was rusted a lot, looked like sh1t, and as a last thought he added in the lock, tool and pump. Could be naivety, but I doubt he'd go to that trouble of doing all that if he was a thief.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Scruffmonster said:

It's a big job that is beyond me, involving cash,

Yes it involves a certain amount of cash - which you obviously want to keep towards the new bike. But it is not a big job, nothing at all difficult. Would take halfway competent bike mechanic 30-45 minutes. Might take you 2 hours but don't assume it's beyond you. Forum members can walk you through it.
OTH with no decals you may not even get £100- £150 or even your purchase price back on ebay.

MartinC

Über Member
Sorry for being late to this thread.

My guess is as follows. Campag 10 speed shifters will work OK with a Shimano mech and a Shimano 8 speed cassette. Shimano 7 and 8 speed spacing is close and you can often get away with Shimano 8 speed shifters in a Shimano 7 speed set up. So this combination may have worked OK'ish when it was all new.

Getting it working again will cost money if it's a 126mm rear wheel with a freewheel on it. The cheapest option would be to get some friction down tube shifters off ebay and just use the ergos as brake levers.

Edit: Looked at the pics again. Unfortunately you don't have down tube bosses so can't fit DT levers. Bar ends would work but would cost more.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
MartinC said:
Sorry for being late to this thread.

My guess is as follows. Campag 10 speed shifters will work OK with a Shimano mech and a Shimano 8 speed cassette. Shimano 7 and 8 speed spacing is close and you can often get away with Shimano 8 speed shifters in a Shimano 7 speed set up. So this combination may have worked OK'ish when it was all new.

Getting it working again will cost money if it's a 126mm rear wheel with a freewheel on it. The cheapest option would be to get some friction down tube shifters off ebay and just use the ergos as brake levers.

Edit: Looked at the pics again. Unfortunately you don't have down tube bosses so can't fit DT levers. Bar ends would work but would cost more.

You could fit clamp on DT levers - e.g. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/"Retro-Re-Bui...vr_id=&cguid=4ad47d951210a0aad5743ae4ff5eafd0

Top Bottom