Campag/Shimano compatibility

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bigjim

Legendary Member
Is there anybody out there running 10 speed ergos with shimano rear cassette and mech? Wondering about any problems before I start the work?
Cheers.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have read that a 10 speed Campagnolo Ergo shifter works with a 10 speed Shimano 105 mech but a 9-speed cassette.

Search for "Shimergo" for lots of discussions on the subject.

Ivo

Campag 10 shifters will work with a Shimano cassette, but ONLY if you use a Campag mech.

And not with any Campag mech. If you use Campag 10 speed shifters you should use an older Campag 8 or 9-speed shifter, then it works good with a Shimano cassette. The old mechs are recognisable by the flat bottom part where the limit screws are attached:

IMGP1200.jpg

OP
OP
bigjim

bigjim

Legendary Member
And not with any Campag mech. If you use Campag 10 speed shifters you should use an older Campag 8 or 9-speed shifter, then it works good with a Shimano cassette. The old mechs are recognisable by the flat bottom part where the limit screws are attached:

View attachment 438782
That will limit the size of the cassette I was planning on. I have an 11-36 cassette that I was planning to install.

Ivo

That will limit the size of the cassette I was planning on. I have an 11-36 cassette that I was planning to install.

Can't you just mount a smaller chainring? 36 is quite big for a cassette. And an 11 is something you'll hardly need.
on my tourer I use a 26 as smallest on my triple. That completely eliminates the need for anything above 32 (for me even 26x28 is enough as lowest gear).

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just don't - it's so wrong. Tisk tisk.

OP
OP
bigjim

bigjim

Legendary Member
The rear at the moment is a 25. I have a 36 Shimano sat doing nothing. Campag cassettes are really expensive and they don't do a 34 or 36. I'm big, old and heavy so need easier gearing. I could go to a triple but I'd still need a bigger rear, maybe BB and front mech. Probably just sell the bike on rather than have the hassle.:sad: Thanks for the advice.

Top Bottom