Campag Vento/Khamsin wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Noodley

Anyone able to explain to me the reasoning behind the spoke pattern?
And is it valid reasoning or hokum?

And are either any good?

Thanks in advance...

I've got Kashsims on the Bianchi, I always thought it was a weight saving design and they've been fine for me.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
The G7/8 spoke pattern you mean?

presumably trying to simulate the composite tri-spoke wheels but extended to give more stability as spokes are being used. In theory they focus the force from the hub onto the rim and therefore onto the tyre. Coming back the spokes attach to the hub on opposite sides of the rim so that the force is spread out further across the hub in order to enhance that force onto the stays and therefore the frame.

ps I am not a scientist !

redddraggon

Blondie
There is no advantage to the G3 spoking pattern. It just makes the wheels more identifiable and so more marketable.

It actually makes the wheel heavier using this pattern compared to standard lacing as the rim has to be beefed up because of the big unsupported sections of rim.

OP
OP
Noodley

Noodley

accountantpete said:
ps I am not a scientist !

You're doing a good job of sounding like one ;)

I think I saw it called G3 spokes but it might be G-somethingelse. I'm looking for wheels which will be good for entry level TT on a budget...it's either Vento or Aksiums so I was wondering if there was any benefit in the spoke patterns of Ventos over the radial spokes of Aksiums. From your (non) scientific description it sounds as if there may be...but I can't work out why not radial on front wheel as it would make more sense (based on my very limited knowledge of these things :smile:)

OP
OP
Noodley

Noodley

redddraggon said:
There is no advantage to the G3 spoking pattern. It just makes the wheels more identifiable and so more marketable.

It actually makes the wheel heavier using this pattern compared to standard lacing as the rim has to be beefed up because of the big unsupported sections of rim.

Thanks, I missed your reply before my last response. I think they look like crap so they fail on the marketing front :smile:

redddraggon

Blondie
Noodley said:
You're doing a good job of sounding like one ;)

I think I saw it called G3 spokes but it might be G-somethingelse. I'm looking for wheels which will be good for entry level TT on a budget...it's either Vento or Aksiums so I was wondering if there was any benefit in the spoke patterns of Ventos over the radial spokes of Aksiums. From your (non) scientific description it sounds as if there may be...but I can't work out why not radial on front wheel as it would make more sense (based on my very limited knowledge of these things :smile:)

Aksiums have bladed spokes so would be faster than Ventos with round spokes.

redjedi

Über Member
I've got the Khamsins on my Bianchi and they are solid wheels.

I've done almost 3000 miles of commuting and group rides and haven't needed to touch them.

I'm actually about to drop them off for a service as they are ever so slightly out of true but hardly noticeable. I'll also get the hubs re-greased. Perhaps not ideal for TTs but good wheels.
I would only get the Aksiums if you have an authorised Mavic service centre near by. The spokes aren't standard so won't be stocked by your average LBS and Mavic only give the proper tools to the authorised centres. The nipples also have a habit of fusing themselves to the spokes.

Between the 2 get the Campags. You can always get them re-laced later.

redddraggon

Blondie
redjedi said:
Between the 2 get the Campags.

I've got both Aksiums and Ventos. The Aksiums feel faster and less sluggish than the ventos.

However the only issue I can foresee is that the Aksium bearings aren't as good as those in the Ventos, so will probably wear quicker.

redjedi said:
You can always get them re-laced later.

How would you do that?

redjedi

Über Member
redddraggon said:
I've got both Aksiums and Ventos. The Aksiums feel faster and less sluggish than the ventos.

However the only issue I can foresee is that the Aksium bearings aren't as good as those in the Ventos, so will probably wear quicker.

How would you do that?

You could be right. I've never had them in use at the same time, but did notice the Aksiums went out of true a lot quicker that the Khamsins.

Would you not be able to re-lace the Campags (obviously with new spokes)? Wheel maintenance is not my strong point, hence the dropping them off to be serviced. I can't even true them yet :smile:

redddraggon

Blondie
With the Ventos, you are stuck with the G3 triplet lacing because of the position of the holes drilled into the rim.

I'd say it's 50/50 between the Ventos and Aksiums, both have their good points and both have their bad points.

OP
OP
Noodley

Noodley

redddraggon said:
I'd say it's 50/50 between the Ventos and Aksiums, both have their good points and both have their bad points.

Aye, you're a great help! :laugh::biggrin:

Seriously thanks for all the replies, I think I might just go with the Aksiums.

Thanks again :smile:

Okay, that's part one of my 'What Bike2Work spec?' over with..:laugh:

accountantpete

Brexiteer
For a TT wheel on a budget I'd have a look at the Zonda's - good second hand pairs about £200 on eBay.

They aren't aero but are reasonably stiff,light and have Record class hubs.

The rims are strengthened by not having holes for the spokes on the inside of the rim(you have to fiddle around with a magnet to replace a nipple).

redddraggon

Blondie
redjedi said:
grab a handful of these at the same time.

What frame are you getting? or are you literally starting from the ground up :laugh:

If the OP gets 2010 Aksiums those spokes wouldn't work :smile: 2009 used J bend spokes, whereas the 2010 use straight pull spokes.

Top Bottom