Campagnolo 10 speed chainset conundrum

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlexeiHampson

Hi all,

I have a full campagnolo 10 speed veloce groupset. The crankset is about a year old, but is a 2014 model i think. It is a power torque and has 52/39 teeth. As the derailleur is short cage, my cassette is only a 11 - 25, so my easiest gear is still not that easy... and I live in a quite a hilly area of north London. I recently went on a 4 day cycling trip in Wales, and due to the crazy steep gradients and lack of gear options, I have returned home with tendinitis in the back of my left knee. To avoid this nasty business from returning, I think i really need to change my crankset to a compact. I also made the rookie error of buying a solo campagnolo 34 tooth chainring off ebay, to have it arrive and find out that does not even nearly fit onto my current veloce crankset.

Apologies for the rambling - my question is, because its so hard to find 10 speed compact campag cranks, I wonder if there are any other brands that are compatible with a full campag veloce 10 speed groupset???

Or should I just keep looking on ebay for a compact campag 10 speed crankset?

Some of advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all!

Alexei

D_97_goodtimes

Unusual for no one to reply.

You are entering the world of modification and compatibility where it is easy to mess up but the simple answer is probably and depends.

Changing both the cassette and the crankset might be the way to go.

Easiest solution is to speak to your local bike shop.

You could swap out the Power torque for square taper. This might allow for a greater choice such as stronglight.
PCD is useful to understand and is important when choosing new chainrings. Pitch Circle Diameter.

Hope this helps but there are many much more knowledgeable than me.

Big T

Guru
Any 10 or 11 speed chainset should be fine. I’ve run a Campag set up with a Shimano chainset before with no problem. A new 105 11 speed Shimano compact is likely to be £120, but you might be able to get a second hand one off EBay. There’s a non- groupset specific one that‘s a bit cheaper - £75 from memory, but they don’t come with BB cups so you are looking at another £25 for those.

You could go square taper and get a Stronglight chainset from Spa Cycles, which would be cheaper, depending on which rings you specify. Zicral rings are made of harder aluminium than Dural, and last longer.

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m8b0s109p45/STRONGLIGHT-Impact-Double-Chainset

Last edited:

Enigma2008

Über Member
Hi Alexei
As mentioned you could install a non-Campag chainset and it will work just fine. That said, I did what you allude to, I bought a 50/34 Campag chainset off ebay. You should be prepared to change the bottom bracket to match the chainset. You might find the square taper version a little cheaper overall. You'll probably find that you'll need to shorten the chain too, it will probably hang loose when on the 34 ring and smaller sprockets.
Another option, swap your cassette for one with a 28 tooth sprocket. You may need to put a longer chain on though!
It's all a compromise and a faff but, worth it when you get to the hills.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Veloce here too, except for a Shimano 105 compact chainset which was on a very special offer a couple of years ago from Condor. Presumably old 10 speed stock.

There were some cheap campag chainsets too, but only with weird new bottom brackets that don't look easily user serviceable

Wasn't sure about HT2 either but all good so far, and is easy to remove when the time comes (or even for cleaning)

Top Bottom