Campagnolo Chorus, Mirage, Record and Centaur. ???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Is there a knowledgable person out there who can explain to me in what order these groups first became available and is there a good, better, best order.
I have tried researching them on line but l end up being non the wiser !

steverob

Guru
The Wikipedia article at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campagnolo has a fairly comprehensive timeline of what groupsets came in when, although even in there some names disappear only to re-appear 20 years later, or be used again as a re-name of a different groupset, which can make things slightly more complicated!

According to that article it seems as though the order of names from most prestigious to least is: Super Record, Record, Chorus, Potenza, Centaur and Veloce. Not sure where Mirage fits in to that list, but it is no longer listed on Campagnolo's website (nor are Potenza or Veloce to be fair) so I'm guessing it's been withdrawn since that was written.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
potenza is a fairy recent one to the line up, lowest ranked 11spd,, so didnt overlap with Mirage Veloce Xenon etc which we 10spd i think

some covered on here, names have come and out of line up for Campag more than the others.

1677235037549.png

OP
OP
W

woodbutchmaster

Veteran
The Wikipedia article at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campagnolo has a fairly comprehensive timeline of what groupsets came in when, although even in there some names disappear only to re-appear 20 years later, or be used again as a re-name of a different groupset, which can make things slightly more complicated!

According to that article it seems as though the order of names from most prestigious to least is: Super Record, Record, Chorus, Potenza, Centaur and Veloce. Not sure where Mirage fits in to that list, but it is no longer listed on Campagnolo's website (nor are Potenza or Veloce to be fair) so I'm guessing it's been withdrawn since that was written.

Thanks for that, l can see that l'm going to have some interesting reading ahead of me. I'm interested because l have a Look kg386 frame/fork which l'm gradually finding parts for. I have odds and ends of both Chorus and Centaur .

OP
OP
W

woodbutchmaster

Veteran
I'm going to do my best to stick to early 2000's At the moment lm just messing around and seeing if l like what l see ^_^
This is the subject of my efforts. I love these wheels and the 10sp Campagnolo "brifters" are very nice. The rest is just me trying stuff to see how it looks.
tempImageYvduLW.png

YellowV2

Veteran

Potenza replaced Athena as the lowest spec. 11 speed at the time, now Both are discontinued as Centaur is now 11 speed and Chorus, Record and Super Record are all 12 speed. Veloce was 10 speed now also discontinued. Mirage and Xenon were two low priced (for Campag) offerings, which were 8/9 speed I believe, below Veloce.
current line up is Super Record, Record, Chorus all 12 speed, Centaur 11 and Ekar 13 x 1.

Jameshow

Veteran
Record is carp so put it in a box and post to me...!🤣🤣🤣

OP
OP
W

woodbutchmaster

Veteran
Oh no , l forgot to mention Athena of which if l am not mistaken , this is an early example 257g . weight .l have the cable adjuster screw somewhere, l don't think l will ever have a use for it but if anyone else does l will part with it for a modest sum .

tempImage3QzLyU.png

tempImageZ8kGK9.png

tempImageST0JYv.png

Top Bottom