Campagnolo gear problem.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beavis

I have recently brought an old cycle off a friend as i'm starting out tri racing and i didn't want to splash out on a new bike if i don't like triathlon, it has campagnolo gearing with mirage ergo shifters, a veloce rear deraillier and a 9 speed cassette. The issue that i'm having is that when i'm shifting gear the largest 4 gears shift very well but then for about the next 3 cogs the chain clicks as if not located properly. I've had a little tinker with the tension of the cable and this just takes the issue from the original cogs to the previously ok ones, all spacing between cogs is equal so i can't see why the shifting isn't constant, has anybody got any advice as to what could be causing this and remedies if anyone has any.

Hi Beavis - could be a number of things.

Presumably the shifters are 9spd - you should get 8 clicks in the range.

Next - what cassette are we talking about. Does it have plastic spacers between each sprocket or are some sprockets mounted on a cage.

Big John

Guru
How 'old' is the bike? It may be worth simply getting a new chain and cassette. That should cure it providing, as Pete says, you have the right shifters.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
As accountantpete said it can be a number of things, such as the mismatch he referred to.

Cable routing incorrectly at the clamp of the rear mech is a common mistake, it needs to be routed below (see fig 10 of this) not above the clamp bolt.

There is a small chance that it is caused/compounded by gunged up or kinks in the cable, this shows you how to check if it is.

Since it is a secondhand bike if all else fails it is probably also worth checking that the cassette is indeed a Campag one and not Shimano - their spacings are slightly different so changing cable tension can give rise to your experience, you should be able to tell the make from the logos on the lockring.

OP
OP
B

Beavis

RecordAceFromNew,
Many thanks, i fitted a new cassette and cable a few days ago and i HAD routed the cable above the bolt, i have now rectified the routing and, hey presto, it's as good as new, who'd of thought that something so daft as that would cause so much hassle.

Top Bottom