Shimano Alivio gear switch problem.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I0sens

Hi!
new to the forum but not new to bikes.

I recently inherited a nice Trex bike with Shimano Alivia shifter levers.

Using it for the first time, I noticed that the gears would not switch through the full range. This issue is that the release lever will release the
gear to the "no tension point" -> High gears, but the "Up-lever" will not go all the way to the higher gears, but only 1 step on the front, and 5 in the back.

No problem.. let's adjust it....

Well, well.. I am totally puzzled. It's not loose bowden cables or end stops on the derailleurs that I expected.

In the meantime I have removed the plastic covers of the switch unit and can see the notches it is switching through.
The inner bowden cables are disconnected from the derailleurs and I am putting the tension on it with my hand.
There is only on click up or down ob the left (although the display shows 1-2-3, and I cannot even see another notch that would engage for "three".
On the right side it is harder so see, but it only clicks 5 times instead of nine.
Everything is nice and clean (This is a pretty new and almost unused garage bike).

I would be OK with one being defective, but both at the same time with the same behavior?

Thanks for any suggestions!!!

Eric

Top Bottom