Broken Gear Cable

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Good luck!

T4tomo

Legendary Member
hmm almost looks like the nipple end is stuck in there. you will need to push it out, but must be in the least tension gear, so click little lever as you pull on those strands to get there, you should then be able to see the nipple from the other side, and then push the whole lot out.

Ah fossyant - agrees!

I do think this is the issue, the nipple end is being held in because you're in a middle of the range gear, and it wont click back because there is no pull on the cable (usually from the derailler) because the cable has snapped. so you need to create that "pull" on the cable to get the gear lever mechanism back round to its resting spot.

OP
OP
J

Jimmy Welch

The wheel goes up and down like I'm changing from high to low and it clicks away perfectly all the way through so I bit the bullet and LBS'd it now interestingly they said 105 must have a design fault as they often fail right at exit of the hoods and its not the 1st this week he's dealt with but the nipple isn't coming out without the use of watchmaker type tools and a lot of fiddly stuff that beyond a blurt like me but cheers lads it was good to get a bit closer to the mystery of the system

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just bought a bike with 105 that's 10 years old with the same 'new style' shifters (hidden cables). Changed every cable straight away as the cables don't last long.

My two other road bikes are ancient and have down tube shifters, so no crazy bends. My best bike is still running the Dura Ace cables it came with - very different cabes - loads more finer cable threads.

Top Bottom