Broken Gear Cable

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jimmy Welch

Hi Everyone the rear shifter cable on my 105 has broken just at the entrance into the hood itself and then end blob at the end of cable is nowhere to be seen but I can't push the old cable through is there any advice to get it out please

Attachments

• 20231011_212417.jpg
    20231011_212417.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 20231011_212418.jpg
    20231011_212418.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 20231011_212427.jpg
    20231011_212427.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 20231011_212428.jpg
    20231011_212428.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 29

raleighnut

Legendary Member
If you pull the 'hood' back you should be able to see the broken nipple and fish it out with tweezers unless it has fallen out anyway but then you need to pull the 'hood' back to fit the new cable as it won't fit through the hole in the shifter.

OP
OP
J

Jimmy Welch

If you pull the 'hood' back you should be able to see the broken nipple and fish it out with tweezers unless it has fallen out anyway but then you need to pull the 'hood' back to fit the new cable as it won't fit through the hole in the shifter.

Hi as you can see the nipple is nowhere to be seen but the bit of wire left exposed on the other side won't budge

Attachments

• 20231011_213724.jpg
    20231011_213724.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 30
OP
OP
J

Jimmy Welch

Thanks I'll have a look if that's there in the morning I don't want to get into the brake mechanism too much because there is zero chance of that going back together

C R

Guru
Thanks I'll have a look if that's there in the morning I don't want to get into the brake mechanism too much because there is zero chance of that going back together

You can find the info on how to do it in the shimano site, look for the service manual for your shifter model. It is really very simple.

Alex321

Veteran

He has the hood pulled back. Those two first photos are of the side of the hood where the cable should run through - the opposite side to the nipple, but6 there is just a frayed end of cable.

The nipple end will be somewhere inside, but is obviously not where it should be if it can't be pushed through from that frayed end of cable.

To the OP - if you don't want to take the shifter apart yourself, it is probably an LBS job.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller

T4tomo

Legendary Member
It is likely to be caught inside the mechanism. In the more recent sti models there's a small screw in the underside of the main body, removing that screw releases the small cover, and usually the little barstard nipple falls off.

It's just a single screw which allows a small cover to be removed.

It's not part of the mechanism and even if you lost it it wouldn't matter. A two minute job.

Item 11 on the diagram here

https://dassets.shimano.com/content/dam/global/cg1SHICCycling/final/ev/ev/EV-ST-R7000-4340.pdf

the pertinent posts I have repeated above ^^ .

also when inserting the new cable make sure you have tapped the small lever enough times so you are in the highest gear i.e. would be small cog (if this is the shifter for the rear derailleur) as the hole to thread the cable thru only appears then. If you have done this on the hole is still not visible, there must still be some frayed thread stuck in the shifter mechanism. A blast of air (compressed or minipump) is sometimes your friend here along with tweezers / gravity and shifting up and down until all bits fall out thru the cover you have removed.

Obviously its much better not to let your cable fray until it snaps, but having been there and done that, patience and working methodically will get it sorted eventually.

only remove that cover and peel the hood back, do not attempted to remove any more shifter parts, shimano shifters are designed not be be properly serviceable or re-assemble-able!!!!

OP
OP
J

Jimmy Welch

the pertinent posts I have repeated above ^^ .

also when inserting the new cable make sure you have tapped the small lever enough times so you are in the highest gear i.e. would be small cog (if this is the shifter for the rear derailleur) as the hole to thread the cable thru only appears then. If you have done this on the hole is still not visible, there must still be some frayed thread stuck in the shifter mechanism. A blast of air (compressed or minipump) is sometimes your friend here along with tweezers / gravity and shifting up and down until all bits fall out thru the cover you have removed.

Obviously its much better not to let your cable fray until it snaps, but having been there and done that, patience and working methodically will get it sorted eventually.

only remove that cover and peel the hood back, do not attempted to remove any more shifter parts, shimano shifters are designed not be be properly serviceable or re-assemble-able!!!!

I've taken the hood off and taken the small cover off that's as far as I'm going with it I'll just keep pulling pushing and twisting the frayed bit in the hope the nipple comes free

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231012_122627_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231012_122627_Gallery.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 23
Top Bottom