Campagnolo Khamsin Asymmetric spokes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RhythMick

Über Member
I'm doing a cross Ireland ride in a couple of weeks with a charity team from work. I carry a fairly small and light kit but it includes emergency bits that last year got quite a few people out of trouble. It includes a pair of fibre-fix replacement spokes which I had need of recently on my commuter bike. The wheels are 32 spoke and when 1 went I was able to correct the slight buckle with the fibre fix and basic adjustment of the surrounding spokes to get me home.

Since then I've ordered and fitted the correct spoke and trued it all. Quite pleased, not done it before. It made me think about carrying spare spokes for the bike I plan to use in Ireland. However the wheels are Khamsin Asymmetric (not the G3) and there are enough differences that I think I'd be lost without guidance.

First, the rear has only 20 spokes which makes me think losing 1 would be a much bigger deal.

Second, I'd have to carry spoke lengths for both sides. Anyone point me at what these are?

Thirdly, the spokes are straight pull I think and I'm damned if I can see where the new spoke goes through. YouTube is my friend here I suspect, but are they easy or fiendish?

OP
OP
R

RhythMick

Über Member
I'm quite a heavy rider, 95kg ish plus bike. Certainly no racing snake and I'd rather be on dependable and repairable wheels than super light or fast. I don't have much experience therefore of good wheels - these seem to my in expert feel to be both rock solid and nippy. Got them on my Planet X RT58 carbon with SRAM rival 22 in May 2015 and they've been brilliant on roads and roughish trails. I do wonder about the low spoke count meaning big trouble if one goes.

U

User6179

I'm doing a cross Ireland ride in a couple of weeks with a charity team from work. I carry a fairly small and light kit but it includes emergency bits that last year got quite a few people out of trouble. It includes a pair of fibre-fix replacement spokes which I had need of recently on my commuter bike. The wheels are 32 spoke and when 1 went I was able to correct the slight buckle with the fibre fix and basic adjustment of the surrounding spokes to get me home.

Since then I've ordered and fitted the correct spoke and trued it all. Quite pleased, not done it before. It made me think about carrying spare spokes for the bike I plan to use in Ireland. However the wheels are Khamsin Asymmetric (not the G3) and there are enough differences that I think I'd be lost without guidance.

First, the rear has only 20 spokes which makes me think losing 1 would be a much bigger deal.

Second, I'd have to carry spoke lengths for both sides. Anyone point me at what these are?

Thirdly, the spokes are straight pull I think and I'm damned if I can see where the new spoke goes through. YouTube is my friend here I suspect, but are they easy or fiendish?

I think they might be J-bend spokes , you can buy a mini spoke kit like this, just make sure they are for the model/year of your wheels http://www.acycles.co.uk/campagnolo-khamsin-spoke-kit-front-and-rear-black-5191.html

When my Fulcrums needed a spoke I just found out the sizes and bought a standard spoke of the same size, a lot cheaper , you may even have an old wheel kicking about with the right size spokes.

BTW you would also need to carry chain whip and cassette tool to remove the cassette to fit a drive side spoke.

OP
OP
R

RhythMick

Über Member
I think they might be J-bend spokes , you can buy a mini spoke kit like this, just make sure they are for the model/year of your wheels http://www.acycles.co.uk/campagnolo-khamsin-spoke-kit-front-and-rear-black-5191.html

When my Fulcrums needed a spoke I just found out the sizes and bought a standard spoke of the same size, a lot cheaper , you may even have an old wheel kicking about with the right size spokes.

BTW you would also need to carry chain whip and cassette tool to remove the cassette to fit a drive side spoke.

Thanks. I carry a full toolkit in the van (semi supported ride). I was more thinking about would the emergency spoke be useless.

Considering these ... http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-ultegra-6800-mavic-open-pro-wheelset/

Top Bottom