Campagnolo Khamsin wheel question(Shimano Freehub version)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Widge

Baldy Go
Does anybody use these and know if they are compatible with an 8 speed cassette?

The blurb says they are for 10/11 speed but there is no definitive agreement in shop Q/A's about whether this means that they are also ok for 8 (with-I presume- the appropriate spacer.)

Also there appear to be TWO different versions. '2016 G3' has those crazy looking parallel spokes in groups of 3 while some(older?) Khamsins don't. I watched someone 'unbox' a pair and he appeared to have a bag with a spacer in it! He didn't say anything about it though.

Since the advent of 11 speed I have become very confused about backwards compatibility and whether I can still use 8 speed on the latest hubs/freewheels - sorry!

Hope someone can help?

Best Thanks

w

gareth01244

Veteran
I have a set of these with the older style spoke pattern and at the moment they are sat unused in my garage with an 8 speed shimano cassette on them, the cassette needs a spacer which mine doesn't have so there is some play but once i find a spacer( not sure what thickness as yet,prob 1 or 2 mm) it will be good to go. Dont suppose you fancy buying my wheels, bought for a project that never happened so they havent even seen a bike?

You can use an 8s Campag Exa-Drive cassette on the 9/10/11s hubs but there are some caveats.

You need a spacer behind the biggest sprocket. Normally a 2,5 mm spacer will do the trick.
When fitting the 8s sprockets, you need to bear in mind that the sprockets are individual and steel and the cassette body is alloy.
The sprockets have a very shallow spline so the load-bearing area is very small. To prevent problems with the sprockets damaging the splines, therefore, you need to pay careful attention to how you fit them to the cassette body.

Fit them in the orientation dictated by the "king spline" - you can't really do anything else.
Once you have all 8 sprockets and their respective spacers on the hub, with the spacer behind, thread the lockring on, but don't do it up to torque - double check that the spacer is thick enough by trying to "rock" the biggest sprocket. Leave the locking ring loose enough that you can turn each individual sprocket with a chain wrench clockwise, to make sure that the sprocket splines are each fully in contact with the cassette body splines. Then tighten the lock ring to 40 - 45 nm - so TIGHT ...

If you follow this procedure you will get minimum damage to the splines with long-term use. Check the lockring torque from time to time, as well.

Campagnolo don't give a recommendation for this method (or any other, for using this combination) anywhere in the literature but we've used it with no issues a good many times - but it is an "at your own risk" proposition ...

If you just want to run Campag 8 on a Campag 9 / 10 / 11s hub, you can cast around and see if you can find Campagnolo KIT-08 which allows you to take a 9s cassette composed of all loose sprockets, which have the full depth spline, miss out the bottom sprocket (and fit a 2 mm spacer instead) and then build the cassette as normal - so a 12-25 would become a 12-23, or a 13-26 would become a 13-24, etc. The kit has been out of production for a while but there may be examples out there ... obviously this *is* an approved technique, as Campagnolo made the parts to do it. I'd still follow the practice above, though, as I would with any cassette, 8, 9, 10 or 11s.

KRs
Graeme

OP
OP
Widge

Widge

Baldy Go
Many thanks for your reply and kind offer, Gareth......I'll give it some thought:smile:.

Graeme....thank you SO much for your most informative reply.......It is much appreciated. I am sorry I hadn't made it clearer (apart from in the thread title) that I was asking about using an 8 speed SHIMANO cassette on the Shimano Freewheeled option on the Khamsin Wheels. Mea Culpa!

I know that mixing Campy and Shimano is a horrible thing to discuss with Campagnolo Aficionados such as yourself so I apologise again. You must have spent a lot of time giving me your erudite and expert response! I was surprised that the wheels even CAME with a shimano freewheel option!

Thanks again all

Best
w

Whoops, sorry, Widge! My bad, I didn't read it properly.

The answer for 8s Shimano is yes, you can fit a Shimano 8S cassette - the "new" Campagnolo 11s body is the same spline pattern etc as 8, 9 and 10s were - the body itself is just 1.85 mm wider, as is the case with the Shimano item.

You will need to use the supplied 1.85 mm spacer (to return the effective cassette body width to that of the older 8/9/10s body width).

Shimano don't give data on their technical website but Sutherlands Edn7 (this used to be the bible for mechanics when Sutherlands were able to keep it updated and kit didn't change as often as it does now) says that an 8s and a 9s cassette can be fitted into exactly the same space / are the same width (40.5 mm) on the cassette body ...

Top Bottom