Campagnolo Mirage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I am looking at another bike which is equipped with camp mirage and wondered what the equivalent in the shimano stable would be Tiagra / 105 ?

Thanks

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Mirage is roughly equivalent to Tiagra, I'd say. Costs about the same, for the whole groupset.

OP
OP
4F

4F

Smokin Joe said:
I'd say it's on a par with Dura Ace.

hoho, thanks all. Bike won which I think will be a step up from my current sachs huret setup ;)

gavintc

Guru
Well on a straight countback of the range and remembering that from next year, there will nothing worse than Mirage in the Campag range, it should sit around Tiagra equivalent. But each to their own, and I certainly would not knock someone using Campag, but if you wanted quality Campag, you could move up through Veloce, Centaur, Chorus before getting to Record or even the new 11sp Super Record

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
As I understand it there will be no Mirage either next year, giving Campag and Shimano the same number of groupsets in their ranges.

I have a Mirage Compact Groupset and it is very good. I decided to spend more on my Carbon Frame with lower spec parts, which I could upgrade later. But I suppose it is whatever you are used to, the move from downtube shifters to Capag Mirage was a pretty big jump for me!!

OP
OP
4F

4F

Harrier said:
I have a Mirage Compact Groupset and it is very good. I decided to spend more on my Carbon Frame with lower spec parts, which I could upgrade later. But I suppose it is whatever you are used to, the move from downtube shifters to Capag Mirage was a pretty big jump for me!!

Yep thats the same jump I will be making. Currently riding a 6 speed double with downtube shifters and sachs huret mechs so looking forward to the jump up as well :smile:

Nick1979

gavintc said:
Well on a straight countback of the range and remembering that from next year, there will nothing worse than Mirage in the Campag range, it should sit around Tiagra equivalent.

Yes there is (well 'was' until 2008) Xenon. Both Xenon and Mirage are discontinued in 2009.

gavintc said:
But each to their own, and I certainly would not knock someone using Campag, but if you wanted quality Campag, you could move up through Veloce, Centaur, Chorus before getting to Record or even the new 11sp Super Record

Chorus, Record and SRecord are all 11sp for 2009 :biggrin:

Jonathan M

Nick1979 said:
Yes there is (well 'was' until 2008) Xenon. Both Xenon and Mirage are discontinued in 2009.

Chorus, Record and SRecord are all 11sp for 2009 :blush:

I won't miss the Xenon groupset, thats for sure, got it on my winter bike, and over time, I've come to hate it, especially the indexing on the ergo's, but as it all works (of a fashion) then the tight fisted git in me just can't justify changing. Been watching odd parts of Mirage & veloce on Ebay, but then I seem to recall that the Xenon ergo's and mechs have a different cable pull than the rest of Campag, so can't be mixed & matched.

woohoo

Veteran
Jonathan M said:
I won't miss the Xenon groupset, thats for sure, got it on my winter bike, and over time, I've come to hate it, especially the indexing on the ergo's, but as it all works (of a fashion) then the tight fisted git in me just can't justify changing. Been watching odd parts of Mirage & veloce on Ebay, but then I seem to recall that the Xenon ergo's and mechs have a different cable pull than the rest of Campag, so can't be mixed & matched.

Only if it's 9 speed. 10 speed Xenon can be mixed and matched with the rest of the Campag 10 speed stuff.

(I've used Xenon and it's OK. It has the same up and downshift changer positions as the rest of the Campag range and I prefer it over the bottom-end Shimano Sora changer positions. I also don't have any problems with Shimano Tiagra upwards, so maybe I'm just easily pleased :blush: ).

Jonathan M

Thanks WU, it is 9 speed, so your info backs up what I thought. The hoods and changer positions are the same, but on the ergo's I have (granted they may have changed) you can only upshift one gear at a time, and the front shifter is indexed, but compared to a Shimano shifter it feels indexed in a very crude way, and the set up is so fussy compared to other Campag. i understand that this indexing might have made its way into other groupsets over the last couple of years, something that wouldn't please me, but then so long as I don't need to replace anything, I'll be OK. Considering we're talking about Campag there isn't likely to be much that needs replacing soon!

Top Bottom