Campagnolo or Shimano

Campag or Shimano?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spandex

I love Dr D
No contest it is Campag

Will1985

Über Member
13 posts in and you are asking controversial questions? I wouldn't go there...particularly when you leave out SRAM which is now on a par with the others.

OP
OP
T

Tel

Veteran
Will1985 said:
13 posts in and you are asking controversial questions? I wouldn't go there...particularly when you leave out SRAM which is now on a par with the others.

Whats controversial about that? It used to be that Shimano were the most technically advanced and user friendly groups, Campag was just beautiful, I was wondering if things had changed...

I considered including SRAM but didn't :sad:

yello

"used to be"... what period are we talking about? Campagnolo started production in around the 1940s, Shimano in the 70s. It used to be that Shimano didn't exist! :sad:

My dad used to witter on about campagnolo but when I started mtb'ing in the last 70s it was all Shimano. Personally, I reckon it's simply difference, preference and preference for difference. Pays your money, takes your choice.

02GF74

Über Member
Tel said:
Given the choice which do you rate higher Campagnolo or Shimano?

rate higher ..... cannot answer as all my stuff is Shimano; I did have campg on one time trial bike but sold that.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Can I vote for both? I have four bikes with derailleur gears. Two have mixtures of Shimano and Campag (Shimano for derailleurs, Campag for cables and shifters), and the other two mixtures of Shimano and SRAM.

Shimano derailleurs do the job, no problem, but I just can't get on with those ugly STI levers. Campags are far more elegant.

And why can't Shimano make a twist-grip shifter that's as good as SRAM's?

tyred

Legendary Member
The only derailleur bike I have has Shimano. That seems to work okay without problems. The only other derailleur equiped bike I ever owned had Simplex. That worked okay too (after a fashion). As I've never had Compag, I can't make that comparison. All my other bikes have either been Sturmey Archer or SS. SA hubs last forever so I would vote for that if I had the option...

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
one of my lbs' sells both, and the knowledgeable chap behind the counter reckons that, between comparable groupsets, there's little to choose between either of them.

Top Bottom