Campagnolo or Shimano

Campag or Shimano?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lambchop

Problem is there's a huge price difference in Campag Centaur and the next one up - record is it?

Whereas shimano ultegra sl can be had for less.

mickle

innit
Shi**no sucks. End of.

asterix

Comrade Member
As a user of both, I tend to prefer Campag in its 9-speed form* as it has proved to be rugged and durable compared to Shimano and I like the solid feel of ergo changers. I have Shimano on two bikes only because it is easier to get round here but it does seem to wear very quickly. STI shifters work ok but have a kind of sneaky underhand character compared to the manly ergos.

*9 speeds are bad enough, but anything with more than 9-speeds is despicably effete, esp. with a triple as well!

yello

Got to admit, a 10 speed triple is a bit decadent... but I have been thankful of it! Not often, but enough. :becool:

jayce

Ive only ever used shimano but im getting a colnago that has campy so im interested how good campy work

Spinners

Veteran
Campag for me... but only just! I don't like their carbon fixation with their top end stuff and just wish they'd broaden out to do stuff like 57mm drop dual-pivots and cantilevers that work with their ergo shifters.

Their shifters are still by far the most elegant (I do like the new Centaur in alloy) but it could well be that my next bike will be Shimano because of the ability to match MTB hubs and canti's with road mechs and shifters.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
mickle said:
Shi**no works. End of.

Cheap shot I know, but TBH they're all pretty good.

Radius

SHREDDER
Maybe because it's what I saw first, dunno, but I absolutely HATE what Campag Ergos look like, and love the STI shifters' stylings. I don't like the new DA 7900 though, they are trying to be Campag. Not good.

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
Of course one could thing you can say about Campag is that you can always tell them apart from Shimano by the awful racket they make when freewheeling. :smile:

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
True, but I've always wondered if it meant slightly more wear or drag somewhere to be making that noise, compared with Shimano stuff.

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
I've got Veloce on my summerbike and sora on the winter based on that, which probably aint a fair comparison, I prefer Campy. Whenever I hired a road bike its had 105's and whilst it work well I think I still prefer Campag.

Top Bottom