Campagnolo Shimano/Sram

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by Trumpettom001, 3 May 2010.

1. Trumpettom001

Trumpettom001 Well-Known Member

Loking at buying a pair of fulcrum 7 wheels of ebay.. they have campi free hubs, and my current wheels have shimano freehubs, with a sram casette..(9 speed)

will a sram casette fit on campi hubs?

2. From what i understand sram and shimano are pretty compatable. But not campag.

At least thats whats i've been told. Im sure someone on here will know for sure.

3. Archie

Archie Errrr.....

No. SRAM are Shimano compatible, and Shimano isn't compatible with Campag.

Darn, too slow.

4. OP
    OP
    Trumpettom001

Damn and blast... oh well, cheapo casettes are only 30 quid online...

5. redddraggon

redddraggon Blondie

Fitting a Campag cassette would only work if you run a campag gruppo, unless you plan on using a Jtek shiftmate too

6. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Resistance is futile! Moderator

Unless you're keen on a whole load of fettling and conflicting advice, I'd get some with Shimano splines meself.

7. youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke The older I get, the faster I used to be ...

+1 - though Shimano spaced cassettes that fit Campag type freehubs are available - can't remember where from at the moment, sorry.

8. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Resistance is futile! Moderator

They're out there, but they're £££. Campag spacing on Shimano splines are more common.

9. youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke The older I get, the faster I used to be ...

Having searched for that I realise I may be wrong - but you can do it the other way round - Ambrosio make a Campag spaced cassette that fits a Shimano freehub. However it appears you can get a replacement freehub that fits Fulcrum (Campag) hubs http://www.totalcycling.com/index.php/product/parts_accessories/wheels_road/SPC_freehub_S9.html that will allow you to fit a Shimano or SRAM cassette - will cost you £59.99 though.
    (edit - typed at the same time as TheDoctor)

10. redjedi

redjedi Über Member

I take it you did actually buy them then?

As said above, you can either change the freehub body for a Shimano one or change your whole groupset.

Or sell them and buy a Shimano compatible wheelset.

11. canamrider

canamrider Well-Known Member

I run a 9 speed Campag cassette (on a Campag compatible hub) with Shimano bar end shifters and Shimano rear derailleur and it works perfectly. Don't know about integrated brake/shifters though. If you can find someone who can loan you a 9 sp Campag cassette, you could give it a try before you buy one yourself.

12. OP
    OP
    Trumpettom001

Nope havent bought myself anything yet... I'm promising myself a new cycling utility for every A i get in the coming exams....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice